Orlando Magic - NOT fish related

orlandobrian

Okay, I get that the magic needed a point guard to replace Nelson, but why trade your first round draft pick for a 32 year old Alston? How does this trade cost both Brian Cook and a first round pick? Is this going to get you the championship trophy this year? Can anyone explain how the Magic has to trade Brian Cook to Houston AND a 2009 draft pick to Memphis? What did Memphis lose?

I'll read your posts later, we DVR'd Lost, so my I'm loggin out. :)

- Brian

We need a point guard now more than a late first round possibly good college kid that will take a year or two to get adjusted to the NBA game. We have a good core of very young players. A rookie will just get pushed back to the end of the line, especially with Stan. It’s hard enough for JJ and Courtney to get minutes and both are promising young players, I doubt that a late first rounder will be better than them. Whose spot would he take??

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/02/19/nba_20090219_trade_update.nba/
Check out at least 7:20-8:20

I hope your right. I remember before the season started rumors that the magic might go after Kyle Lowry from the Grizzlies. If I remember correctly, the Grizzlies had like 4 point guards on the roster at the start of the season. Kyle was regarded as an up and comming talent. I was hoping the Magic would trade for him. But it never happened. I dont know much about Rafer Alston. But I sure as heck remember Steve Frances!

I understand Rafer has a good assist ratio lately. That will come in handy. I am sure the Magic are making a push for a championship this year. I understand Nelson might NOT be out for the season! Thank goodness for that!! It will be good to see him in the playoffs (is that jumping the gun?).

What about Penny coming out of retirement LOL? I was also hoping Darrell Armstrong would quit that assistant job at Dallas and join the Magic again. He would be an incredible replacement for Nelson!!! Yep he's 40 but I like livin in the past.

But honestly, I dont think JJ is as good as a LOT of people believe. In college, he was "the man" when Duke was up, but lost in the game when Duke was behind. I question his mental toughness. Make no mistake, hes a better basketball player than I will ever be, but not an All Star and honestly not as good as more than 75% of the league. So I dont blame Stan for not playing him as much. I would guess he is consistantly on the trading block with no takers. Sucks to be him. But isnt the starting salary like $250,000 a year? Sucks to be me.

Courtney is getting plenty of well deserved playing time for a rookie!

Anyway, I get the trade of Brian Cook.... and I would say yes to trading JJ too. But a 2009 rookie.... I wish I knew how Alston plays. I was thinking 2010 championship not 2009! Hope I'm wrong!!!!

Well, Nelson will be out for the season, he had surgery yesterday and even if he's ready for the playoffs I do not think he'll have all his abilities at top as he had before the injury, plus Orlando needed another point guard urgently, probably not the best deal IMHO, but it was needed.

Go Magic...

The magic needed a new point guard, tyron leu was not cutting it. Giving up the 1st round pick was a smart choice. They worked so hard for there starting record this year. I know stan was not about to see that go to waste.

What will happen will be that alston will carry them to the playoffs and if not through the playoffs...cross your fingers. Then next year Jameer will be healthy and ready to go, and we will not need 4 point gaurds. So hopefully we will keep Alston and Jameer. Then we can trade Johnson and Leu for probally a 9th or 10th trade which will still be good. 2 kick *** point guards on the same team come on....2010 is going to be ours.

I cant wait for tonight to see what alston can do with a jersey that fits him...lol

GO MAGIC!!!!!

Should be a good game. Did you see Alston's assists in 29 min his first game for the magic? Guess thats why I'm not the GM LOL.

WOW, Alston is going to be what this team needs to get back in their groove. His offensive scoring isnt as good as Jameers, but his ball handling is what we need. I cant wait to see what happens when Alston gets used to his teammates. It really looks good.

Did you see AJ's dunk tonight..hahaha.. That was sick.

Did you see that dunk by D Wade over Rashard Lewis!?!??!?!?!? Now that was SICK!

I totally agree WaterWater - Alston looks like the right fit! This GM is a LOT smarter than I ever thought. He's taking advantage of the right deals and ignoring the ones that sound good, but just are not the right fit. I'm impressed.

Dare I say all the pieces are there for a championship run? :)
How cool would that be?

Go Magic!

Championship is deffinitely in the picture now. We are overdue for this. Oh yeah and D-Wade theres no stopping that guy. I mean come on he had over 3/4 of their points.

I think this was a great deal for all the same reasons you guys have said. A rookie is iffy at best and would be burried on the bench for at least a couple seasons.

Alston is a great ball handler even if he is a streaky shooter. With lewis and turk on the line and big D in the middle he is the disher we need.

Remember Alston was one of the guys that started the And 1 tour as one of the best playground ballers ever. Obviously he cant be flashy like that in a game cause that stuff doesnt fly in the NBA but the ball handling and vision are still there.

I liked the idea of Lowery as well but I still think he is a couple years out. As long as our shooters dont go cold the Magic will give anybody a run for thier money!

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow its been awhile since I posted on this, but I thought I would stop in and say LETS GO MAGIC. I still Believe!!!!

GO HEAT! lol Not on the bandwagon i've been a D Wade fan since he came in the league.
But on the other hand I am from Florida and like to see the Magic be successful.

I still beilive in the Blue and White even though Dwight will be gone next year :-O!

The magic in my opinion need a different coaching staff. Its not always the players for ex the san fransico 49ers lol

Back