Psycho Achilles

MrCaveman

I have a 240g 6ft x 32" x 2ftT tank. Ive had this tank running around a month and the Achilles for a over a year. This last weekend I bought an adult Blueline angel, absolute favorite fish that Ive been looking to acquire for the last 2 years. I added the angel, slightly bigger than the Achilles and they did fine the first day; no aggression,angel was already eating frozen and picking the algae sheets within the first 10 min of putting him in no aggression. I also a added a slightly smaller Majestic angel at the same time. The net morning the Achilles had the blueline hounded in the rocks, wouldn't let it move out of the hole it was in and even when the Achilles swam a round a little he would continually return and harass the blueline even though it never left the rock crevice it was in. So I trapped the Achilles that morning, threw it in the sump to allow the blueline to settle in, and he became the dominant fish, and was swimming everywhere, eating everything even pushing around the naso, copperband and majestic at times. 3 days later I re-introduced the Achilles and right away, the Achilles goes straight for the blueline, not even a territory dispute but just straight hatred this fish has for that angel. Within 10 minutes I had to recatch the Achilles or else I was worried the blueline wouldn't survive the night. So I had to dismantle all 200lbs of rock to net the Achilles and put him back into the sump. Anyone have experience with this kind of fish that only goes after 1 particular other? Of course it had to be my favorite and most expensive fish. How long should I sump the b**tard. I also redid the aquascape so its a lot more open with 2 very separated islands. Also have wp40 and wp60 so theres ton of flow to make this fish happy. He also likes to chase defenseless fish like my anthias and copperband I think for fun. I hope it doesn't come down to either the Blueline or Achilles...

Achilles are very aggressive Tangs. It's recommend that they be the last fish introduce in the tank for this specific reason. You may have to setup a holding tank for the Achilles for awhile, to let the new fish get settle and establish territory.

Also, Achilles need a minimum of an 8ft tank. He may be very stressed out. Achilles tangs are a very aggressive fish, and you may have a extra aggressive fish. Good luck.

Achilles is generally OK in a 6' tank (see RC guidelines). Some individuals are really aggressive. How big is yours? I've got a 5 inch Achilles and it's the most aggressive fish n the tank, but not so much that I can't add additional fish.

Damn.

The acanthurus tangs are supposed to be very aggressive, tangs in general.

Why not get one of those critter boxes and put the super awesome Achilles in there, and then leave it in the DT, in the box, so it can get used to seeing the other one?

Tape pictures of a Blueline all over the DT tank and put the Achilles back in just before lights go out. Sounds silly but it's worked for me several times on a variety of fish... including an Achilles.

Achilles is generally OK in a 6' tank (see RC guidelines). Some individuals are really aggressive. How big is yours? I've got a 5 inch Achilles and it's the most aggressive fish n the tank, but not so much that I can't add additional fish.

Id say mine is around 4-5". I added a 5-6" naso several weeks ago and the Achilles accepted that fish. Blueline is about 6". I think its gotta be the coloration that provokes the tang.

Damn.

The acanthurus tangs are supposed to be very aggressive, tangs in general.

Why not get one of those critter boxes and put the super awesome Achilles in there, and then leave it in the DT, in the box, so it can get used to seeing the other one?
That's a really good Idea, they make pretty good sized critter keepers and its way better than spending the chunk of cash for an acrylic box. I have even enough room I could put a 20g long or 29g aquarium with lid or net inside the tank. Ill look for something this weekend I think this would be perfect. Its a peninsula tank with Aquascape rock wall at the overflow side and tall island on the far 1/3 of the tank with about 3ft of open water in between so theres plenty of space for something like that. Its now a totally different aquascape than when the Achilles was in the tank too.

Agreed! An Achilles IS doing well in my tank. Trouble is, it has a set of requirements that make it problematic if not met. But it can be kept, unlike, say, purple queen anthias.

LOL my Achilles is fine! Super healthy and active eats anything and is joy to watch swim, no disease or parasites. Its just unfortunately aggressive like leucosternon, sohal or lineatus. LFS has small juvenile without the orange teardrop; gonna see it they would accept an Achilles trade.

Back