OT: are we finally going to get a QB tonight?

Anyone comparing Winston to JaMarcus Russell is simply advertising their lack of football knowledge or simply taking the lazy "insert failed black qb here" approach.
Doubting Winston for his off-field decision making is perfectly legitimate. The guy has been an idiot at best. But on the field is an entirely different matter. By all accounts his football acumen is off the charts and so is his work ethic. Neither of those things was said about Russell. Nor does he have a substance abuse issue like Russell did with codeine. The actual best true football comps for Winston are probably Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Ryan (who also threw a lot of pics his last year in college).
If he can keep his head out of his rear, Winston has the chance to be a very good (or better) QB. Of course, if the Bucs don't improve their line, be also has the chance to be a dead QB.

this!

Anyone comparing Winston to JaMarcus Russell is simply advertising their lack of football knowledge or simply taking the lazy "insert failed black qb here" approach.
Doubting Winston for his off-field decision making is perfectly legitimate. The guy has been an idiot at best. But on the field is an entirely different matter. By all accounts his football acumen is off the charts and so is his work ethic. Neither of those things was said about Russell. Nor does he have a substance abuse issue like Russell did with codeine. The actual best true football comps for Winston are probably Roethlisberger, Rivers, and Ryan (who also threw a lot of pics his last year in college).
If he can keep his head out of his rear, Winston has the chance to be a very good (or better) QB. Of course, if the Bucs don't improve their line, be also has the chance to be a dead QB.

You are entitled to your opinion sir but I can assure you my knowledge of football (or any sport) for that matter is better than most. Anyone who knows me personally can tell you I'm speaking the truth here. Time will tell on this one but I have a strong feeling he's gonna be a bust. If he were going to a team that had an O - line that could protect him and give him time to throw he may have turned out to be a good QB.

Time will only tell. I still didn't like what I saw on the field his last year. Far from #1 pick talent.

You can have all the charts & scouting in the world, but it doesn't always translate to success in the NFL. This holds true for any position in the NFL (or just about any sport for that matter).

I always thought Big Ben was the best QB out of that draft. I despise anything Manning, especially with the whole cry baby Elisha Manning (and Archie) antics that year. Of course, everybody was head over heals on Elisha that year. The only reason he has 2 rings is because of the defense those 2 years.

Oh I would be happy to provide my DraftKings username if anyone wants to test my sports knowledge or lack thereof. A little head 2 head action (with a small wager of course) is always fun. Just make the request and I'll oblige.

everyone's harps so hard on the off the field Issues that the media blows up. whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty? I personally find it hard to believe that the Heisman winning title-winning Fsu star had to force himself on girls but just because it's being said it happened I don't assume it did or didn't happen. and then there's the crap like things so someone would give him crab legs and he would leave with them is it right? No, but is it that big of a deal to not draft him with the first? Heck no.

Why don't we wait a year or 2 or 3 before you say how he is going to fail.

I'll discount the whole rape scandal as those can be tough & be a lot of he said, she said; although everybody knows this guy's ego & probably doesn't know what NO means.

The crab legs, cmon. Still doesn't own up to it. He even has the footballs to pose for a crab leg photo last night after being drafted. Obviously this guy hasn't matured & think he can get away with anything. This guy needs to feel some real NFL hits.

I am subscribing to this thread to bring up his failure in 3 years!

I never guaranteed that Winston would be a HOF'er or even an average QB. I was only pointing out the absurdity of comparing him to JaMarcus Russell.
Historically I think that 1st round QB's have something like a 50% success rate. Certainly no guarantee of success. Winston can certainly fail, but it won't be from anything in common with Russell.
I personally think he's a young punk that needs to quickly grow the f up. But on the field I think his talents translate as well as some of the best QB's to have come out of college in quite awhile. Working on shortening his release and being a little better at ball sercurity are things that coaching can correct much easier than teaching someone to read a defense or create instincts where none exist.

Don't hate bone. We were doing much worse at 20yrs old than this kid has ever done. The girl was after money from the start(trying to extort him before anything was ever public)Crab legs? Man please, every college kid working would hook him up with free stuff and be happy to do it.

People love to hate. This kid is a star. The ONLY reason fsu did as well as they did last year was because of him. Put in any other QB and fsu has 5 losses minimum last year.

Will he be a star in the nfl, who knows? Will he turn the bucs into a super team, probably not. BUT, he has more drive, motivation and god given talent than anyone on that team right now. So yup, I think he was worth the #1 spot. ANY other team picking #1 would have went the same direction or traded to someone dying to pick him. I hope they start leaking the offers bucs had. Eagles are the only team I think that would have went with MM.

Last edited:
9b1a4706f0aeb737858d8247437d380e.jpg

This is all I need to see. This right here tells me he hasn't grown up at all. Funny? Sure. Professional? Absolutely not.

But this is the face of your franchise Tampa.

So he can't eat crab legs now cause of the publix thing? He had cameras in his face all night what was he supposed to do go eat them in a bathroom?

He clearly loves crab legs as do I! I had some at Hooters while watching the draft actually... people love making issues out of things that aren't issues like that picture

So he can't eat crab legs now cause of the publix thing? He had cameras in his face all night what was he supposed to do go eat them in a bathroom?

He clearly loves crab legs as do I! I had some at Hooters while watching the draft actually... people love making issues out of things that aren't issues like that picture

Yea he did that on accident in sure... Has to be more self aware than that.

It's a picture. He's laughing at himself and poking fun at the media. It's not like he sexually assaulted a female trainer at Tennessee...oh wait, that was that thug Payton Manning.

9b1a4706f0aeb737858d8247437d380e.jpg

This is all I need to see. This right here tells me he hasn't grown up at all. Funny? Sure. Professional? Absolutely not.

But this is the face of your franchise Tampa.

Exactly my point. Even if it wasn't his idea, you don't do this. Nobody can defend this as just being a picture. This guy wouldn't last 1 day in boot camp and we expect him to play in the NFL? I don't know what kind of background he's from, but I can guarantee (just like most NFL players) he's going to need a new group of friends. Whoever he hung out with prior was certainly no good for him. It's the same story year after year for most of the hyped up players.

Lol u crack me up postal

So one of the captains from deadly catch gave Winston 25lbs of crab legs for his draft party.... just read an article on it. I just find it funny the things people assume they know or use to make up there mind on someone.

Time will tell if this pick was right or wrong ... saying he is a bust or the next J.Russell and that he is going to be 300lbs in a few years is just ignorant lol just as it is to say he is going to be great and win 3 super bowls.

No one knows yet but I'd wait to see what he does on the field and off the field in the NFL before we label him anything

More then half of the NFL wouldnt last a day in boot cap and more then half the league are not great people .... yet they still play and we still watch

Lol u crack me up postal

So one of the captains from deadly catch gave Winston 25lbs of crab legs for his draft party.... just read an article on it. I just find it funny the things people assume they know or use to make up there mind on someone.

Time will tell if this pick was right or wrong ... saying he is a bust or the next J.Russell and that he is going to be 300lbs in a few years is just ignorant lol just as it is to say he is going to be great and win 3 super bowls.

No one knows yet but I'd wait to see what he does on the field and off the field in the NFL before we label him anything

I personally don't think I'm ignorant but rather a SAMF nor did i say he will ever be 300lbs. The comparison to J. RUSSELL I was making was they were both 1st picks, they both had off field issues, they both had alot of hype around them, and they both will suck!!! I think Mariota will be a better QB in 3 years but that's just me. Oh and the crab leg pic is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile.

Back