OT: can someone recommend a store to buy an nice watch?

m0nkie

Hi guys. I want to purchase a nice watch as a birthday present for my father. Problem is I have 0 experience in watches. so maybe some of you guys can help me out? :fun4:

Since I'm almost clueless in this field, I'd like to find a reliable store that stocks a few brands so I can compare. I have been comparing between Breitling, Omega, and Rolex. Budget is around $3000-6000.

nothing fancy. simple dial. lightweight. leather band. small

important to have a leather band. So this rules out a ton of Rolex watches. Going leather because he has a thin wrist and watches tend to look big on him. it also limits the watch to be around 30 some mm dial size.

so ya.. any store recommendations would be great.

also, I've noticed that the same watch can be a lot cheaper online. do people buy watches online?

I came close to buying the Breitling Superocean Heritage. It costs around $4700 in Breitling store NY. but I did a quick online search and most prices were around $3000. decided to wait and ask around

qEmbXVO.jpg

Check out Costco. If they have something you like, they will probably be the best value you can find. I can't speak highly enough of Tag Heuer, probably the best value in watches bare none.

cool thanks! will visit Tick Tock over the weekend

Costco is a good idea. never crosses my mind to look at Costco for fancy things.

If you buy watch in Vegas and they mail to you no sales tax. Check out mirage watch boutique and the store in bellagio. Once you find what you want call them. Also Amazon has a nice selection. Bought a Tudor that was brand new for $600 less than retail and no tax.

Have you checked Hing Wa Lee in Walnut, very popular place and i believe it's by you.

that's where you pay premium bucks for subpar items.. I've seen them sell the exact same bag found in outlets for premium price.

Downtown LA, jewelry mart, 6th St and Hill St. it's the RAP of jewelry. You can wheel and deal and save a bundle if you've done your homework.

Bought a Hublot 521.NO.1181.RX for my bro from timepiece.com recently. Received it with no warranty card or certificate. Got in touch with them and was told it was because "they sell it under MAP price so cannot issue the warranty card because it has info of their supplier on it and doesn't want to get them in trouble".

If you want to save a good amount then order online but if you want the warranty card or any certificate of authenticity then I would thoroughly look into their policies before ordering. For that matter, asking the stores that you will be going to in person that question if that's important to you. Something to keep in mind since it was something I was not expecting.

Your one stop place to compare everything and learn more about the watches would be finding a Tourneau shop closest to you. (Not sure if I would purchase there though) They have a very interesting certified pre-owned section where I've seen some rare jewels. Do you care about residual value? I would also hit up watch forums where some very knowledgeable people hang out. From my limited experience and learning from watch fanatics and professionals (doctors, lawyers), the go to watch in that price range and among the 3 brands you listed would be a Rolex Submariner. That particular model would garner the most "respect" given its long history. It has a model that comes with a rubber-like band but you can swap out with a leather or NATO band if you want a better fit (I have tiny wrists too). Avoid Breitling (notice all the advertisement they do). Omega is decent but is still "ranked" below Rolex.

that's where you pay premium bucks for subpar items.. I've seen them sell the exact same bag found in outlets for premium price.

That's where you fund David's Ferrari collection so enthusiasts like me can go enjoy. :thumbsup: :lol2:

Back