OT: Car people, I need you!

Ragby

I'm not looking for an infraction here, but I know nothing about cars and need some recommendations on next steps.

Apparently our 2003 Ford Taurus SE needs a new transmission. The autoshop is estimating $1600. The car has about 110,000 miles on it (my wife has been commuting to work the last three years). And it's got some pretty big scratches on the passenger side doors from my wife hitting it against the garage pillars adjacent to our spot.

So, we've definitely decided to buy a different car (we were in the market to do so anyway). The question is now what to do with this one? I have no clue how to evaluate it. My guess is ain't worth much, so we'll probably have to junk it for scrap metal or pay the $1600 to have it repaired.

So how did you do decide to keep/sell/junk your car? What am I supposed to think about? I'm at a total loss here. No knowledge of cars whatsoever.

In my experience any running car can be sold for about $1000. Have the buyer sign a receipt starting that there is no warranty stated or implied. Be honest about the trans problem; buyer might be just parting it out anyway.

auto grease monkey here. How bad are the scratches? is it actual dents? also what happened with the trans? does the car still move? send pm if you need help and if you decide to junk or whatever i can help with figuring out what the car is worth in its present state. I can also try and get you a cheaper price on the trans if you are thinking of fixing it, i have an amazing trans guy.

usually with cars with bad trans/engines you can sell them, doubt you can get $1000 out of most cars nowadays. people are pretty cheap and if they perceive you have no other options they try to low ball you.

Hey pm me i am a ford mechanic at a dealer and can fix the car alot cheaper. Or may be interested in the car if your gonna sell it!

I can speak on behalf of scrapping, I run a recycling yard for ferrous and non ferrous. Steel price is 240nt which is .12 per pound with no dash interior, tires or glass.

Personally I would pay $1600 to have it fixed and have the extra car.
Start the engine and let it idle often so nothing settles until you have the extra $

Orrrrrr donate it and take the tax write off... what's it worth to charities?

I traded in my 2002 Taurus SE for the scrap value effectively because the computer was shot, probably should have gone the donation route.

Mack's auto recycling in Urbana has a good used trans that might fit your car for $300 OBO on Ebay. Might be the cheapest route to go if you can get someone to give you a good deal on pulling the old and in with the new/used.

Sounds like you have some options to fix it for yourself.

I have donated a couple of cars ... There is a program in KC where they will take that car, fix it up and give it to a vet in need... Cars for Vets. Typically these guys and gals need the car to get to/from healthcare, or work.

Back