OT: How bad is living up in the snow?

Born and lived in Michigan for 48 years, snow and cold sucks. For half the year everything looks dead, no green except pine trees, you have to shovel snow off the driveway, off the walks, off the deck, off the roof of the house, then the snowplow goes by and you have to shovel the driveway again...Florida is paradise!

For half the year everything looks dead, no green except pine trees, you have to shovel snow off the driveway, off the walks, off the deck, off the roof of the house, then the snowplow goes by and you have to shovel the driveway again...Florida is paradise!

This is totally true

Hey Josh,

Where in particular are you thinking of going? Not all winter climates are equal, for instance, the DC and Denver areas don't get it half as bad as other areas (Chicago/Buffalo, etc). I grew up in Chicago, did four year degree in Cleveland, and promptly moved to tropical climates down under for 8 years before returning to the US (Florida), so I have a bit of perspective. If you don't mind being inside for a good few months each year, or you are pretty tough and don't mind bundling up and dealing with the elements, then you might enjoy the changes in seasons, the cooler, drier air, cross country or downhill skiing, fall foliage, etc. If on the other hand you are used to doing outdoor activities year round here in Florida (running, sports, beaches, convertibles, etc), then you will find it a big change in lifestyle for part of the year. As has already been alluded, you will spend a good amount of time dealing with clearing your car out of the driveway or other parking, bundling up, unbundling....the list goes on.

One of my former coworkers put it this way.....people save up all year (after paying higher rents and property taxes) to come down to Florida for just a week or two. On the other hand he clocks out of work each afternoon and IS on vacation. :)

Scott

Lived in NJ for 26 years of my life. I hate the winter (here). You're stuck in side for about 4months. I would much rather move to Cali..

Lived in NJ for 26 years of my life. I hate the winter (here). You're stuck in side for about 4months. I would much rather move to Cali..

Now you're talking! 3 hour drive and you can be from the beaches to the ski slopes. Of course the cost of living sort of sucks in that state!

Now you're talking! 3 hour drive and you can be from the beaches to the ski slopes. Of course the cost of living sort of sucks in that state!

haha, it's not any better here. I'm not even going to attempt to buy a home nor do I want to. Property taxes for my mothers 3 bedroom house is $9k a year. My 1100sq ft apartment is $1545 + utilities. Although, my complex is only 5yrs old.. still !

I went on vacation to Colorado last August. I would love to move out there eventually.

"San Diego has PERFECT weather. "

Better Hurry!! those crazy doomsday predictions say by Christmas 2012 Cali will be under water. Saw a map predicting what the U.S. will look like after the really big floods hit and the seas swell. California to Canada and in as far as Nevada will be in the drink!! All of Long Island and parts of New Jersey will go down. But believe it or not most of Florida will still be here!! Looked like anything south of Fort Meyers straight to the east coast will be gone. The coast around Tampa will go but it looks like Plant City will be a new coastal town!!! Yippee!!

I grew up and lived in Columbus until six years ago.

Depending on what you do, there are more job opportunities in the northern states. I my field I would definitely be better off living somewhere on the eastern seaboard or even in Ohio. The weather isn't as nice. I like snow, but mostly it is gray and rainy in Columbus in the winter. If you really enjoy doing things outside then Florida is probably the place for you. If you have kids most of the midwestern/eastern seaboard states have better public schools than you find down here, although you will find exceptions in either direction in both places. The cost of living is generally a little lower if you stay outside of the really big cities - NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc. You will pay more in income tax, but your house is going to cost less and property taxes are higher in Florida than a lot of states up north.

Ultimately it depends on where you are in life and what you like to do. I would like to live closer to my family, which mostly stays in Columbus, but other than that the only reason I would move is if someone wanted to pay me a lot more money to work up there.

If it wasn't for the snow and cold blowing off Lake Michigan here in nothern IN I wouldn't get anything done in my woodshop all year long.

The cost of living is generally a little lower if you stay outside of the really big cities - NYC, Chicago, Philly,

Actually living in the city limits (Manhattan, Queens, Statin Island, Brooklyn and the Bronx) is much cheaper tax wise than living in the outskirts. The taxes in Queens are about 4 times cheaper than mine and I am only 2 miles outside Queens.

Actually living in the city limits (Manhattan, Queens, Statin Island, Brooklyn and the Bronx) is much cheaper tax wise than living in the outskirts. The taxes in Queens are about 4 times cheaper than mine and I am only 2 miles outside Queens.

I guess for sake of clarification I'm including Long Island and northern New Jersey in the NYC distinction. If you go live in the general vicinity of a big city, it's going to be pretty expensive. It is interesting that living in one of the boroughs is cheaper than where you live though Paul.

Oh, and there's also taking 20 minutes to clean your car off when you get out of work before you can drive home in the snow; they close the main roads while you're at work so you have to find a different way home on unplowed roads; it gets so cold your car won't start in the morning; the same ugly snow from October is still on the ground in March...July and August are frequently hotter than down here, and not everyone has air conditioning.

On the positive side, there are 2 weeks in May when the morels are out and the woodland flowers are coming up and all the bright green new leaves are coming out on the trees, then there's that 2 week period in October when the leaves are changing and you can take long drives looking at all of the color.

I moved from a small town between Cleveland and Akron about 6 years ago. We left in Jan. in the middle of a snow storm. When we arrived in Clearwater the sun was shining, everything was bright green, and it was nearly 80 degrees! I love it here. I will always remember crossing the Howard Franklin in the Uhaul looking out over the bay and smiling inside and out. :cool:

I hated driving in the snow! At times, if you make it out before the plows, you cannot see where the roads end and the ditches and fields start. Its all just one huge blanket of snow. There were areas where black ice or snow drifts were often road hazards.

Remote starters are a must for me in the snow! Hit a button while getting ready in the morning and by the time you go out, your car is warm inside and the windshield may even be clear already! The salt that they spread on the road causes rust problems on cars. All winter your car is subjected to slushy salt spraying all over. Many people do not drive their nicer cars during the winter because of this.

I miss the change in the seasons. The crisp smell of the air at night, the crunching of the colorful leaves in the fall. The glitter of the snow and feeling of being warm and cozy inside while the snow quietly falls outside. The daffodils, tulips and crocuses signaling the start of the spring. I miss my family too. I do not miss dealing with the cold, the snow buildup, ice, and being stuck indoors from late October to April. I don't plan to ever move back. :beachbum:

Being a 'coonass' (also not an offensive, rascist term) from sw Louisiana with Gulf salt & swampwater in my veins, I wouldn't move past the Mason/Dixon line unless paid big money. While I do like the seasons changing, I'll admit I'm a big ol' wuss when it comes to winter. I've never been a fan of snow or shovelling it...Give me 150% humidity to -10 below ANYDAY! Much prefer my water wet than frozen on the ground.
When my stepfather died some years back, I seriously considered moving up near my Moms in the mountains outside Nashville, but came to my senses quick. My standard line is "I'm allergic to winters & I'd much prefer to sweat than to shiver..." Besides, if temps get too warm, it's much more fun to take clothes off than have to put more on when it's too cold...;)

Last edited:
I hated driving in the snow! At times, if you make it out before the plows, you cannot see where the roads end and the ditches and fields start. Its all just one huge blanket of snow. There were areas where black ice or snow drifts were often road hazards.

Most people here have at least one car as an SUV with 4 wheel drive. I have had 4 wheel drive since the 60s, it really comes in handy but like I said, the snow does not last more than a day any more and it is fun driving in it as soon as it falls before the plows make a mess out of it.

Back