OT: NEED Cat Owners Advice!!!

I wonder if catnip has any effects on humans....if you smoked it... :lolspin:

I know the question was in jest but...

The short answer is no. Not because I've smoked it, but because if you could smoke it and get high, it would be a lot more common to do so. Also, catnip's active compound is nepetalactone, not THC, so it certainly would not be the same high. Nepetalactone is actually a really good bug repellent.

Catnip is a member of the mint family (it looks pretty similar to regular old spearmint, which we also grow) and is supposedly a distant relative of marijuana. That said, I can say that hops (what you use in brewing beer) are a much closer relative (actually in the same family, Cannabaceae) and you aren't going to get high smoking them either. Hops though, supposedly do have an effect in beer that essentially relieves pain and induces sleepiness. Of course it is difficult to separate the effects of the hops from the effects of the alcohol in the beer... and highly hopped beers are almost universally higher in alcohol content because the bitterness of the hops offsets the sweetness of the malt and balances the alcohol flavor.

Our cats do go WAY more crazy for the fresh catnip than the dried stuff though, and I've actually thought about distilling some down to a more potent extract since we have way more catnip than we need and the cold weather is going to kill it back for the season soon.

Do not declaw. It's a nasty operation, a lot like amputating the first joint of your fingers (bone has to be removed)---it leaves the cat disabled, and it's unnecessary. No few vets flatly refuse to do the procedure. Simply while kitten is a kitten get some claw-clippers, and take the points off, with a lot of petting and a treat after. Train him to accept the clipping as a kitten and it will solve your problem when he grows. Put a scratching post at the living room doorway: entry to an area or 'territory' is what signals a cat to scratch.

Sorry about the advantix mis quote :) That was what popped into my head and it was obiously not what I was useing since my kitties are still very alive but that it good to know about it being so bad for cats to the point of not useing it in a mixed cat/dog home!

Angela, no biggie. We don't use advantix, more towards frontline. I did my research awhile back before ever starting my dogs on it....

Sk8r, we know..... We read about it online plus close friends and people on here told me already. We're not going to declaw. Training this little kitten early on bathing and nail clipping.... So far he tolerates it if I let him hold my arm which is cute to me....

Sorry about the advantix mis quote :) That was what popped into my head and it was obiously not what I was useing since my kitties are still very alive but that it good to know about it being so bad for cats to the point of not useing it in a mixed cat/dog home!

I wasn't trying to pick on you Angela:)

I figured you meant something else but thought it was important to point that out since you guys are buying online and don't have a vet to make sure your getting what is safe for your pet.

Back