OT: need dog diagnosis

Gimplar

hey guys and gals,

So over the past week or so i've noticed my dog has been losing a little bit of fur, but only on his under belly and chest. Well, today, he's breaking out in a rash and its starting to bleed (very very little, but still blood comes off on my finger)

I'm really worried about him, i didnt switch food ive been feeding him Beneful (salmon flavored)

My first thought was allergies, i can give him a bath, (and i use oatmeal shampoo) but i dont want to irritate it even more. His mood hasnt changed, he's still super happy and hyper.

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02404.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

Thank you all,

Gimpy

2nd checking good for fleas. I used to have a Dalmation that was allergic to fles bites and would look like this due to constantly scratching / biting the areas where the fleas had bitten her.

Wash him in Original(Blue) Dawn Dish soap real well and let it stay on for a few minutes before you rinse him. It kills fleas as well as any of the pet store flea soaps. Then use flea Meds.

My wife works for a vet, she said it looks like some sort of allergies, or even irritation to flea bites. She said give benedryl, or generic only ingredient in it should be diphenhyramine and only give 1 mg per pound, and that will help releave irritation for the time being, also add triple antibiotic ointment to the area, but also said you should get him/her to a vet to get to the bottom of the issue.

hope that helps

Tara, definately good info to keep in mind, but i dont think it looks like Demodectic Mange.

Tara, definately good info to keep in mind, but i dont think it looks like Demodectic Mange.

Me neither, but but when it first starts, it's so mild. I hope it's not that, but I also wish somebody had told me about it before my border collie (of long ago) had an outbreak...

This is one for your veterinarian.

I wanna see if it gets worse, i'm about to give him a bath and then add his flea medication (vet said i should wait a few days, anyone know why?)

My wife works for a vet, she said it looks like some sort of allergies, or even irritation to flea bites. She said give benedryl, or generic only ingredient in it should be diphenhyramine and only give 1 mg per pound, and that will help releave irritation for the time being, also add triple antibiotic ointment to the area, but also said you should get him/her to a vet to get to the bottom of the issue.

hope that helps

Okay, i will have to go and get some benedryl, if it gets any worse, i'll take him to the vet.

I would also google information on demodectic mange.

Don't look at the later stages, but rather the early onset ones...
Note the symptoms

http://www.drlarrypetvet.com/health_mange.html

http://www.lbah.com/canine/demodex.htm

Yikes, i dont think it's that, because in one of the websites it said it normally starts around the eyes and ears. His face is ok and doesnt show any abnormal signs.

Wash him in Original(Blue) Dawn Dish soap real well and let it stay on for a few minutes before you rinse him. It kills fleas as well as any of the pet store flea soaps. Then use flea Meds.

Oh wow, maybe i will try that on my next bottle of shampoo for him.

Thanks everyone, i appreciate all the feed back :)

You should wait to apply the flea medication a day or two after a bath to let the natural oils in his skin to regenerate as they spread the medication around. Dawn dish soap really will kill fleas and would help if he's completely infested but I would be worried it will be too harsh on his skin with the open sores.

One wash with Dawn dish soap shouldn't bother any open wounds. But you do not want to use it every time you wash him, it does strip all the oils out of the coat.

Ivory liquid soap works as well as Dawn, but is less harsh, doesn't strip all the oil from the coat, and has moisturizers.

It's the food, not fleas. A dog dosen't wake up one day allergic to fleas. surely they have been bitten before with no such reaction. All grocery store, walmarts, sams club, etc... sell dog foods loaded with soy, wheat and by-products. The rules governing dog food requirements are very vague and allow the companies to add in some pretty bad things. Most companies do not make their own dog food and the formula can and will change. You can feed a dog a certain food with soys and wheats for years with no problems and then they change a soy or wheat without and the dog starts reacting to it.

Signs that your dog or any dog is allergic to the food may include licking/biting paws and legs (number one sign), bad odor even after a bath, hair loss, scratching constantly, ear infections, hot spots, etc...

98% of dogs that exhibit these problems are not allergic to fleas or the environment.

Here is a fantastic website that rates almost every dog food and explains to you the ingredients involved. The link will take you to one of the beneful brands. Make sure you read the editors responses. You can type in any dog food under the review section.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1873&cat=all

Last edited:
Nelson.
Sorry to see your dog go through this. Our Pekingnese had the same problem last summer.
I soaked him in the tub with warm water and Epsom salt. This really helped sooths the skin.
I also agree with N-E-Cichlids... food has alot to do with this.

Hope he feels better soon.

Back