Experiences with Golden Dwarf Moray Eels

Have had one for about 2 weeks! Love it! Spent so many years in Hawaii and one everpresent game when diving was always who could find moray eels in the reef (almost always snowflakes). Fast forward and the same family will bug me about sneaking in an eel into my tank randomly. Well, jokes on them, finally found an eel that I could sneak in myself!

It is the pale pinkish/yellow with brown spotting variety, and brighter yellow on top of its head and some on the tail. Blue eyes of course. Mine seems fairly mature and “thicker than a pencil” by a good amount, and it is exactly 9.75”.; I and everyone else thought it was larger than 9”, more like a foot, but the pvc in his enclosure let me measure exactly.

Shy right now (from light, I would not say from fish), has a rock picked out in the back of my main cave, but it has holes leading to the front and he is using those now too. Loves krill and eating good now. Smallest fish in with him is a blue reef chromis, but sorry little guy, you just don’t see good enough for that!

I would totally get him a buddy if I could, maybe a bright yellow morph. Already spent a good amount of time eel proofing my canopy and overflow.

Let’s bump up this old thread. I’ve had my golden dwarf moray for over a year. Doesn’t bother anything. He only eats once a week sometimes every other. Just a small piece of shrimp. What else have people had success with feeding?

Mines going strong at about 11 years now. Still eats anything. Funny to see him put his jaw sideways on the sand and pickup small pellets.

That's awesome. Mine doesn't come out to eat that often. Makes me wonder if he is also grabbing pellets. I don't see him much at all. Always in the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I mostly just see a head peeking out. When he's hungry and I feed mysis I'll see him slither around the rocks.

Mine seems to only eat raw
Shrimp I tried other fresh seafood from the grocery store he wouldn't touch it. Wonder what else I can try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The larger Hikari mysis is a good choice.
I am feeding mine raw scallops and octopus pieces. I use a feeding stick and he takes it with a lot of excitement. I feed a few small pieces every other day.. too much maybe? Mine does not like raw krill... so far that is all he takes. I try to hide a few pellets in the octopus for some extra nutrition.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Back