Problem Identification

mindi

My Blue Tang has a problem and I understand the realities of parasite treatment, fallow period, hospital tank etc etc...but I am really struggling to be confident about diagnosis. Because of this uncertainty I have treated the DT with Tri-sulfa, and then 5 days later with Prazi Pro partly to see if an outcome would reveal the problem Of course such an experiment is completely inconclusive as totally uncontrolled. The fish is still swimming around strongly and eating well, I am relying on feeding plenty of quality food to help him get through whatever it is.
The symptoms are repeated flashing, rolling over to rub on rocks etc. The belly and up the lower flanks looks a little powdery white for periods of half a day or so then tend to OK Blue again. There are several whitish patches on his flanks...were 4-5 on left which seem to have gone, now 1 large (2mm) and several small on right. I gave him a 5 min FW dip today in the hope that if he has a parasite or fluke problem it may give him some temporary relief. On quick closer examination on his way out of the dip the larger spot looks like a whitish grey mark under the skin but not raised. Other nearby "spots" look darker in colour, more grey than anything. He has never had the classic salt like white spot appearance of Crypto, I am confident of nothing here but I think it is not that. These spots are more "patch" like than "spot" like, and average around match head size I guess. I am a bit disinclined to Brook as my Tomato clown is totally clean..?

Have read Snorvich and Sk8tr and got the messages on treatment....but its diagnosis which is my problem. Attempts to get a useful photo haven't worked. I know its asking a lot but diagnostic suggestions badly needed please..?

Likely heading for an 8 week fallow period, need to set up a bigger QT first to accommodate 4-5 fish....is that a Vacation Tank..? (VT)

Last edited:
Update

Update

He seems to have a fine dusting of white over him... is that what Velvet looks like..? Eyes look OK.

any other input? do I add the mandarin and blue spot jawfish to the tank and hold the blue tang and yellow tang for another QT? My concern is that if this is lympho the best way to clear it would be in the Reef system?

Neptune

would appreciate others experience!! TY

He seems to have a fine dusting of white over him... is that what Velvet looks like..? Eyes look OK.

A fine dusting of what would be indicative of velvet. Normally velvet results in reclusive behavior and tending towards the water returns for highly oxygenated water.

well he looked so poor last night that I expected that outcome, but he is still going as well or a little better today..?, but clearly not good. Whiter on the undersides..not really optimistic.
More and more signed on to the velvet suggestion.

no i couldnt really see any change after the dip. Very subjective, but my guess is that it made little or no difference....thanks for helping

Back