OT: Regarding the new cell phone law & which bluetooth headset would you recommend?

Use of a wired head set reduces your exposure to radiation by almost 50%. Can't find the numbers for phone vs BT but that's also much less.

The highest exposure is phone-to-head.

SteveU

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12828004#post12828004 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by microbubbles
xtm... that's hilarious

mangus7175- it's dumb because if we want to use a phone in the car, the government is requiring us to put ourselves in harm's way by subjecting ourselves to harmful radiation. i dont want a malignant brain tumor when i'm 50 because i can't escape from HAVING to use wireless technology. cell phones are bad for you, period... but this bluetooth crap an inch away from your brain is probably like staring into the microwave w/ your nose touching the window.

The law says nothing about bluetooth. You can use a wired headset, or not use your phone in the car.

The phone puts out WAY more radiation than the a BT headset. You argument is like saying that cigarette filters cause cancer. :lol:

I think it's dumber not to use a headset while driving if you needed to talk on the phone.

I am sure many of us have followed people who use their phones without headsets that perform wonderful vehicle maneuvers - I just encountered one just a few hours ago.

Again, BT is not the only option so if your argument, microbubbles, is because of the impacts of the potential exposure to radiation, I don't think it's enough to makes this new law "dumb".

If radiation truly IS the concern, then use the wired ones... That simple.

I'm not personally worried about what little radiation comes from a BT device. The way I see it, I won't live long enough to suffer any cumulative effects, anyway, so...

I too got the Bluetooth handsfree devise from Costo. People say I cut in and out. I have trouble hearing people while on the freeway. Other than that it's ok. I have to say, it holds a charge much longer than any other BT device I've ever had.

.bb.

IMO, the "hands-free law" will not prevent accidents from happening, because your attention is still divided. You can have all the hands-free paraphernalia in the world, but if your mind is divided into talking AND driving, it's still dangerous.

Also, why worry about the miniscule amount of radiation on the phone when we all work under 400-watt halides almost everyday? :p

400w Radium >>>>>> Plantronics Headset

Q: Does the new �hands-free� law allow drivers to text page while driving?

A: The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver if, in the officer�s opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Text paging while driving is unsafe at any speed and is strongly discouraged.

Now that's scary...technically still ok to text while driving. I wonder why they didn't apply that at all to this new law?

how can you prove they were texting?... they could say i was just dialing a number... or he could say " i was just reading my email" know what i mean...

Q: Does the new "hands-free" law allow drivers 18 and over to text page while driving?

A: The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver of any age if, in the officer's opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Text paging while driving is unsafe at any speed and is strongly discouraged.

I suspect that most departments aren't really looking at a full out assault on cell phone users unless some program money becomes available for just that purpose. Similar to grants for sobriety checks and seat belt use enforcement.

SteveU

BTW you can get a ticket for holding the phone and dialing or selecting a contact to dial.

I believe there will be a minor lessening of accidents due to this, but I think truthfully the state is looking at it more as the great cash cow

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12832690#post12832690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
how can you prove they were texting?... they could say i was just dialing a number... or he could say " i was just reading my email" know what i mean...

Hands free means exactly that................HANDS FREE.......with the baller that you are Gabe, you should have voice dial on your phone........However I can see some court battles over this.

Bluetooth headphone has been NOT working for me while driving in military base. Talking about HANDS FREE…this is the law

“To pass military muster, a mobile phone must be equipped with a speaker or a voice-activation mode. Ear pieces and headphones â€"œ no matter how trendy or discreet â€"œ are banned.”

For civilians, you can have a court battle...but why take the risk...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12833579#post12833579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anacomp
BTW you can get a ticket for holding the phone and dialing or selecting a contact to dial.

The info from the DMV website sounds like that's not the case

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law prohibit you from dialing a wireless telephone while driving or just talking on it?
A: The new law does not prohibit dialing, but drivers are strongly urged not to dial while driving.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12833579#post12833579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anacomp

but I think truthfully the state is looking at it more as the great cash cow

Depending on where you get the ticket it looks like it will be around $80.00 for the first offense and $190 for the second.

No way they'll make ANYTHING off that first offense by the time the officer writes the ticket and has to go through the convoluted system. Now if you could just hand Barney the fine that would be different. :lol:

SteveU

handsfree2.jpg

I went w/ the "Greg Carroll" version

Glad it's finally law. I won't have to stop for bread and milk on the way home anymore now that I can't answer the phone. I think I use like 5 minutes a month on mine.

:lol:

SteveU

shoot now they want my dog to wear a seat belt and not poke his head out the window, due to 500 dog related car accidents last year. give me and the hound a break. the highlight of my dogs day is an evening drive to starbucks where he head surfs for two miles with his head out the window. loving every minute of it.
so going foward i am driving with my ipod and tunning everyone out. how is that for legal. stupid rules taking away our personal rights just because some peeps can not drive in the first place.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12857652#post12857652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GTR
Glad it's finally law. I won't have to stop for bread and milk on the way home anymore now that I can't answer the phone. I think I use like 5 minutes a month on mine.

:lol:

SteveU

You sure you want to hear the 3 hours of complaining just because you didn't anwser your phone??? :lmao:

Back