OT: Sights to see?

True Blue

Hello all,
I'm making a trip to San Fransisco with my girlfriend next week, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for sights to see, places to dine, and things to do that don't involve spending too much money... Also, Are there any good Reef Shops? We are already going to Monteray bay aquarium, but we don't really know of much else to do.
Thanks for the help.

You can check out the California Academy of Sciences (CAS) in Golden Gate Park -this is a half day to full day affair. Or you can check out the CAS Night Life Event in the evening.
http://www.calacademy.org/
The DeYoung Museum is right across the way from the CAS, so you can shoot for a half and half day.

if you are going to CAS, be sure to pick up lunch from restaurants around 9th and irving street. it's just a short walk away and you can find all sorts of different ethnic foods at a very affordable clip.

be sure you check out both of the main reef displays at the Monterey Bay Aquarium when you are there.. (there is a clam tank tucked around the far side of the Splash Zone which is not obvious and definitely worth checking out). Next year the MBAquarium will have a 12ft reef display! I can't wait.

There are some good reef stores in the Bay Area- look around this forum into some other threads, there are plenty of recommendations as to which shops to check out.

hope this helps.

try and schedule a tour of anchor steam brewery. oldest brewery in cal and free beer. reservations fill up fast.

Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 is a must see if you're visiting SF. Since you're in the vicinity you might as well walk down and check out Ghirardelli Square. They also have boat tours of the bay or Alcatraz tours in the area if you decide you want to spend the money.

The CAS is in Golden Gate park. The combination of those two would make for a lovely day.

Pier 39 is another way to kill lots of time. It's cheap...so long as you don't buy anything. then it gets expensive fast. You can spend a ton of time looking in the shops, watching the street performers (just a bit north is a guy who hides behind branches and scares tourists...classic), and Ghiradelli square is iconic and fun (icecream sundaes can run $9 each, but splitting one or getting the kid version is doable). As you follow that street north there are a lot of little art stores and other interesting shops to check out (including a spy shop!).

Cable cars are fun as well. You can catch one by Ghiradelli, ride it up into Union Square, and at the top of Macy's is a Cheesecake Factory (my wife's favorite) where you can eat outside on the roof overlooking the square.

The golden gate bridge is also probably a must-see. The bridge is something like 1.5 miles long, so that's a nice trip. This is juvenile, but spitting off the golden gate bridge is a rare thrill. It will drop unabated for ~25 yards, then the wind gusting towards the bay will hit it, lift it, and carry it towards the bay. it's pretty fun. (like i said, juvenile)
If you're driving, north of the Golden Gate is Muir Woods. It's very peaceful, affordable, and a nice break from the craziness of The City.

Good luck with all this stuff. Hope this helps.
Tom

Back