OT: Where to buy rubber gasket sheets?

Mitch529

I have been trying to find a sheet of rubber gasket with no luck, Home Depot and Lowes only have a 6x6" Piece. Autozone/NAPA etc... only carry cork rubber or fiber rubber. I tried to call a few plumbing supply places but they are not open on Sunday so I will try them in the morning.

Does anyone know any places in St. Pete that carry any thats at least 7x4" sheets?

No but there is a place in lakeland called rubber and accesories you might be able to call them and have them ship one. They have all kinds and grades of rubber

Yeah, I'd say the plumbing places will be your best bet. I'm trying to think whether or not a speed shop would have it. I know they have exhaust gasket material in sheets, but no idea why they would have a reason to carry rubber gasket material like that.

I read somewhere people use the rubber liner they use for under stall showers.. available at HD

As far a gasket material I got some from Aquatic Eco

thanks for the ideas, the shower liner may work but I want to avoid spending ~$40 for a single gasket.

I will call some plumbing stores tomorrow, also going to check ace they sometimes have the odd things.

Ace has the red gasket material but I don't remember the size. I'd also check Palmer's on 49th or a pool supply store.

Goodyear Rubber in St. Pete has every kind of rubber sheet material you could imagine. They sell it by the roll or by the square foot. 1912 Central Ave.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12052200#post12052200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tedmonds
Goodyear Rubber in St. Pete has every kind of rubber sheet material you could imagine. They sell it by the roll or by the square foot. 1912 Central Ave.

Thank you! They have exactly what I needed, gave them a call going to stop by tomorrow.

you could also make your own a friend of mine does this takes 2 smooth ceramic tiles, squirts silicone on one of them and compresses the tiles together and lets it cure for a dayu or 2, then peel off the tiles
VIOLA a nice silicone rubber sheet heat proof, chemical proof and safe

all for about 3 $ for the silicone

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12057533#post12057533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrferrit
you could also make your own a friend of mine does this takes 2 smooth ceramic tiles, squirts silicone on one of them and compresses the tiles together and lets it cure for a dayu or 2, then peel off the tiles
VIOLA a nice silicone rubber sheet heat proof, chemical proof and safe

all for about 3 $ for the silicone

What a great idea! I 'll have to try that one.

Most sealant or goop will not hold up to petrol long term. even in the auto industry they usually use a rubber gasket on fuel fittings on the tank, they are installed dry. Even than, some rubber sheet is not fuel resistant, so you have to purchase it specifically for use in a fuel system. I would use a rubber gasket made of the correct material, Permatex makes a fuel resistant goop, but I do not think it is meant to be used instead of a gasket, but along with one.

I am new to this forum and recently cut inspection ports into my aluminum fuel tanks. I had aluminum plates fabricated but not sure what material to use as a gasket. Rubber comes to mind, but not sure if rubber with work with the new diesel formulations. What have others used?

Back