other fish with tangs

Reef4Fun

I feel like such a newbie, lolol, but here goes. I have newly redone my 120 and turned it into a fowlr and bare bottom. I know, it sounds boring, but it was needed as the reef became too much for me to take care of. The question is this, I have a yellow tang, a purple tang, and a maroon clown that will be living in this tank. Since I no longer have the corals for added color I am going to use fish for that. What other fish can I put in there that will get along and add nice color? One of the sadest things for me in this all is that I have always wanted a Jaw fish, and now that I have a bare bottom tank, I feel I can't get one and it be happy, I hate that. :(
Thanks guys!

if you go with any more tangs I would suggest a very dominant one, ie. vlamingii or the like. you could get into pretty much anything except more clowns as the maroons can be hard to pair up... (it has taken me nearly 8 months to find a mate that my maroon would accept and not beat the tar out of). You could also get into pigmy angelfish which alot of people overlook since they aren't so great for a reef tank most of the time. Niger triggers are good community fish, peaceful pretty and cheap. you could get into some schooling fish like bang. cardinals or anthias. BTW, you might be better off with a little substrate as it can get to be a pain to scrub down the bottom of the tank to keep it from growing algae. You may want to try a kole tang for that purpose also or a rabbitfish, just watch your purple tang.... they can be bruisers with anyone they decide to pick on... just ask Ron.

Thanks for your suggestions, that is very helpful. I never even considered the fact that algae would grow on the bottom :), lolol. If I start having a problem I will go with a little bit of black sand as I have a black background now and it looks so good, I think black on the bottom would too (here I go again, causing more work for me to keep it clean) Oh, and I love the rabbitfish idea. My purple tang is pretty well behaved for now, but he is only 2 years old too, the meanest fish I have is my maroon, but she tends to keep to herself, not sure how any of them will act with a new kid though :) Thanks so much.

NO definately not a vlamingii. They are WAAAAAAAAY too big for a 120 gallon tank. Trust me, I have two of them that are monsters. You might consider small angels - coral beauty, bicolor, flame angels, etc. You could do some wrasses too. Welcome to the other side, lol.

yea, I did not mention that vlamingii grow really large and it wouldn't be a good idea to try to house it permanently in a 120. Off the top of my head it was just the only tang I could think of that would hold its own with a mean purple tang. I have one and it grows like a weed. I will not be able to keep it as I probably won't be getting the larger tank I thought, since my wife and I are expecting another addition. I would love to have a huge fo tank again but unless something fell in my lap it probably won't happen. But maybe..... vlamingii are a fav

Ever seen a Green Bird Wrasse. They are pretty awesome fish. I kept one in an office tank a couple of years ago. Was one of my favs. Was sold with the tank. He was a krill eater and loved to play with his food. Look like a dolphin.

Back