Other Pets

Cute lab pup. I have had labs and hunted with labs. Labs are a flushing breed and do not have the same nose as the pointing breeds. I wouldn't encourage the pup to point if you are going to train him for hunting. I know it's cute but that is not their forte and it will just confuse him/her when the real training starts. I would concentrate on the sit, stay and most important come when called. It's also a good time to start retrieving with short playful sessions. No tugging games as this will cause a hard mouth when they start retrieving game. There are a lot of good starter books for labs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9300299#post9300299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by highland135
Cute lab pup. I have had labs and hunted with labs. Labs are a flushing breed and do not have the same nose as the pointing breeds. I wouldn't encourage the pup to point if you are going to train him for hunting. I know it's cute but that is not their forte and it will just confuse him/her when the real training starts. I would concentrate on the sit, stay and most important come when called. It's also a good time to start retrieving with short playful sessions. No tugging games as this will cause a hard mouth when they start retrieving game. There are a lot of good starter books for labs.

That is what we are working on. So far she is sitting...staying...coming...and laying down. This is all in the house with minimal distractions. Not bad for only having her for 9 days.

I have hunted with a pointing lab before and it was awesome. It may have been a fluke but this dog was pointing out just as many birds as the GSP and Weimeriners. I don't know if I buy the idea that they do not have the nose as other dogs as labs are used for drug dogs and bomb sniffing dogs a lot. Actually that is what their main duty was in WWII.

Any suggestions on getting her to retrieve now?

You don't happen to have anything to do with Highland Hideaways in Riverside do you?

I have a weimereiner and and Im afraid he is too old to train. hes a year and a half old and very energetic but I would love him to be a bird dog. I took him out pheasant hunting with me and I was the one in the thick flushing birds. he just went crazy running around. hes not gunshy. hes been around shotguns since he was 9 weeks old. anyone have any suggestions?

I would say get a book and start reading online. My brother in laws weimereiner is one of the best hunting dogs I have ever been around. But he does work with her a lot and gives her a lot of exercise.

I think a lot of younger hunting dogs may start off with some kind of point, but if you talk with any lab people, especially those who train for hunting you will find they are a flushing breed. There are several good begining lab training books. It sounds like you already have the hard part whipped. If a dog can sit, stay and come when called IMO everything else is gravy. No I don't have anything to do with Highland Hideaways. I live in the Highland Historical area in Waterloo. Again cute lab...hope my kids don't see the photo or they'll be wanting another one.

Sorry for got about the retrieving question.. Just throw anything she enjoys going after a short distance and clap your hands or whatever to get her to bring it back. Not too long of sessions though as the more play it is for her the better.

Back