Out With The Old, In With The New (New Build)

With the shut down of Indo-Pacific live rock, I'm seriously considering using KP's rock for the 75 when the time comes. This stuff is just incredible. I spent several hours last night just looking at the rock.

With the shut down of Indo-Pacific live rock, I'm seriously considering using KP's rock for the 75 when the time comes. This stuff is just incredible. I spent several hours last night just looking at the rock.

There is allot of good aqua-cultured rock even though it varies from place to place and it seems time of the year...

Gulfview seems to have more halimeda.
Tampabay ships mainly airfreight under water but seems to have more sponges and corals.
KP Aquatics seems to in between the two above.
Another I have been hearing good stuff about is Salty Bottom..

When I got home last night, I noticed quite a bit of the coralline has lost its color. Assuming it's from shipping and acclimating to my lighting. Hopefully it will come back.

Kids in College!!??

Kids in College!!??

I couldn't read any further after I read kids in college. Man you are old Griss. It's been many years since we made Guacamole that one Saturday. :p

Noticed two more stony corals while doing maintenance this weekend.

Another Porites
picture.php

And one I have yet to ID
picture.php

I also noticed a baby Curlique Anemone on the rock.

Life got in the way, so I wasn't able to post pics last week like I intended, but here they are.

Some Tunicates that appear to be thriving.
picture.php

Red Sponge, Porites & Halmeda
picture.php

Curlique Anemone (Noticed a second one in the tank this weekend)
picture.php

Continued...

There are Feather Dusters all over this rock
picture.php

Blue Sponge and Siderastrea
picture.php

Another Tunicate
picture.php

Continued...

Yellow Sponge & Pistol Shrimp Shed
picture.php

I saw this shed from a Pistol Shrimp about a week ago. Never heard any popping or saw indications of a pistol that survived. However, this past Saturday, I heard the distinctive popping of a pistol on several occassions.

FTS from 5/7/18. A week ago I added the follwoing: (3) Astrea from the old tank, (2) Mexican Turbos, (6) Blue Leg Hermits, and (1) Emerald Crab. With their help and water changes, the algae bloom is slowly clearing up and the tank looks much cleaner today.
picture.php

As of yesterday, Ammonia & Nitrites are still at zero and Nitrates are down to 1.

I plan to add more snails (including Nassarius) and hermits along with some Peppermint Shrimp. I'll relocate the Caribbean Hawkfish (if I can catch him, he's proven very elusive).

I also noticed what I believe is a Chiton crawling around the back glass, but was unable to get a good picture due to the angle.

Curlique Anemone (Noticed a second one in the tank this weekend)
picture.php

IME, you want to try to remove this now. They do not reproduce as fast aas the super invasive standard aiptasia but it will become a problem. They look nicet than regular aiptasia but they will still divide, spread, and sting your coral. I have had sections of large Zoa colonies die off and montipora edges get tissue necrosis.

Other than that the rock looks great, I hope your coral hitchhikers survive any cycle!

IME, you want to try to remove this now. They do not reproduce as fast aas the super invasive standard aiptasia but it will become a problem. They look nicet than regular aiptasia but they will still divide, spread, and sting your coral. I have had sections of large Zoa colonies die off and montipora edges get tissue necrosis.

Other than that the rock looks great, I hope your coral hitchhikers survive any cycle!

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I'm curious about your planned stocking list for the 40g. I would like to do a Caribbean biotope tank also. Can you recommend any good places to research coral for this setup? Most of the fish were easy to find on live aquaria.

Back