Over skimming

sirrealism

Is it possible to over skim? I am looking at a new skimmer. It will be for my 300g system thats not together yet. Its rated for 600g. For the time being i was thinking about running it on my 90. Just to get a feel for it and make sure it works as i want it 2.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I dont think you can overskim a tank really.
However, if the skimmer is too oversized with a large neck, if theres not enough waste in the water you wont be able to keep a decent foam head going. Itll pretty much just bubble until enough waste builds up to get a foam head going again.

What skimmer is it?

A skimmer capable of over skimming will just stop foaming, no real harm done. What'll end up happening is you'll need to wet skim in order to continue getting anything in the collection cup.

I am with the what skimmer?
Since we are throwing out what we have for sale here I have a reef octopus Elite 220int.

Thanks. Ya i didnt think you could but wanted someone else's opinion. Since a couple of you are offering skimmers pm me with prices. Looks like both should work. I am going to have a 125g sump but thats only going to be about half full so figure 375g minus rock.
I dont really want to mention what Skimmer it is until i make a decision since there is only 1 left lol.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I am going with a reef octopus regal 300 int which is rated for over 500 gallon heavy bio. I only have a 330.

Over skimming

You can't really "overskim" but you can oversize such that you will idle a lot. If you do, just refrain from "over adjusting " on an oversized skimmer. When idling, leave it alone or you will be chasing the skimmer all over the place. If you chase it, you will end up with too wet of skimmate, or constantly adjusting. I have a BK250 on my 300. It pulls hard sometimes, and other times, it is just "there". but I get a really consistent dark skimmate that will run you out of the house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I didn't read other replays but yes u can over skimm. Back when I was still running my two 120 gal tanks on one sump. I had always run my itech 200 with good results. Well I put my deltec on that system for fun to see what skimmer would do better. The deltec is rated for I think 800 gal the itech for 200 gal. With in a 2 week time I lost all my lps frogspawn and torches. I can't prove that's what caused it but that was the only change and I have had those corals for years with no issues

I would think it next to impossible to starve all of your lps from healthy to dead in 2 weeks.
Any chance your alk was above 8.5? Mine pop heads when I get slightly above this level. Others have no problem with 10 to 14dkh.

I would think it next to impossible to starve all of your lps from healthy to dead in 2 weeks.
Any chance your alk was above 8.5? Mine pop heads when I get slightly above this level. Others have no problem with 10 to 14dkh.

It could have been 3 week I don't recall. Also said it could have been something else. At the time I was shooting for 8dkh but I was not running zeo so I didn't worry if it hit 9dkh. Most problems with high all are with ULNS or zeo systems

Back