over stocking???

mahoneyc3

i have a 55 gallon long with a 3 inch deep sand bed and gigantic amount of live rock, i was wondering if i am over stocking(even though im preety sure i am), and if so what to do abou it ,my amonia is 0 and my ph hovers around 8.1, both within the safe range, my fish go as follows-
6 inch young emperator angle
6 inch desdajini salfin tang
4 inch hippo tang
4 inch tomato clown
5 inch fox face
2 4 inch wrasse
and a 1 inch pygmy angle

they all get along great and my biological filter can handle this, but will i run into problems down the line???

I believe you are overstocked. Stress and future growth will make it even worse. Maybe you could trade some in.

The Emperor angel has to get a larger tank, they have enormous territories in the wild. The Sailfin Tang and Hippo Tang have to go too. It's even worse if there is a lot of live rock, that limits swimming space.

My vote is larger tank... Somthing in the 300- 500 gal range. Heck, it's only money. Your fish are about the size of my tangs. They sure love the swimming room. Sometimes I think my tank is to small for them. Hey, I see a 1,000 gal tank in my future....

I don't have that much in my 240g system
I am starting the process of upgrading to a 400g system - but only 180g show

It's the long term effects you need to worry about. Most tanks can survive for up to 2 years or longer overstocked with proper filtration, skimming & water changes

But your tank is too small for what you have in it IMO

Please either get a bigger tank, or find a new home for a few of those fish or both. I feel for you I am a n overstocker two.

MY GOD PEOPLE...I HAVE A PURPLE TANG IN MY 12 GAL. NANO AT THE OFFICE...HE'S DOING FINE...(THOUGH ON THE SIDE, I HAVE AN EXTERNAL SKIMMER, ADD ON WET & DRY SUMP, AND A 10 GAL. REFUGIUM)...THE 12 GAL NANO HAS ONE CLOWN, ONE ANTHIAS, TWO CHROMIS, ONE HAWKFISH, ONE BICOLOR PSUEDO, ONE FIRE SHRIMP, SNAILS, HERMIT, OVER 12 DIFFERENT TYPES OF SOFT CORALS...THEY'RE DOING FINE I TELL YOU...(concurently, i'm ordering a 400 gal. for them...poor kids, had no space to swim in...they often jump out of the tank, however, landed right back in....)

Your ammonia should never be other then 0 with fish in it and a pH of 8.1 is fine. But what about nitrates? I would think you would need to do regular water changes to keep the nitrates down in that tank. I would definitely test them and see where you are at. With a good skimmer, you could keep the wastes down (especially if you have a large sump). Of course, some of the fish you listed like more swimming space as they get older.

Those fish are largish compared to most I have seen in the stores. Did you inherit them or have you had them a while?

The 'Tang Police' are gonna rip you a new one if they find this thread! Waaayyyy toooooooo many big fish for such a small tank.

what size tank should i invest in, granted im not made of money, i would be happy to hear how to keep the brand new t5 setup i justy got, so somthing that could work with a 48 inch t5 setup that puts out about 450 watts total would be nice
-thanks chris

Tangs like to swim (so I hear -- I just have a Kole tang that thinks he is a maroon clown) and a 6' tank is recommened. Nothing says you can't place your rock and T5 lights in the middle of a 6' tank, though, and leave the shadowy ends for swimming space.

i feel i have the same problem i have a 75 g with 1 2 in percula clown 1 3 in gold strip maroon clown 1 4 in yellow tang 1 3 in mandrin goby 1 2 in longnose hawkfish 1 2 in hawk fish 1 1 in hippo tang 1 2 in blue dasel with 120 + LR is this to much i plan on upgrading to a 500 g within the next year

I believe the 120g from AGA is 48" X 24" X 24", this wqould work for your lights, or like was before mentioned, you could use your T-5's in the center of a 6' tank, and add something on each end, or leave the ends a little shadowy...

Good Luck!

Back