Stocking 35gal, 140ltr tank

ZanaZoola14

Hello, I am looking to set up a 35 gallon, 140ltr tank. (length x width x height Inches — 36x15x15, cm — 90x40x40 approx)
This tank is pre-drilled for a sump, and I have a space below the tank (inches — 30x17x24, cm — 76x45x60), to include the sump, ato and anything else that might be needed/recommended.

This would be with a sand bed of at least two inches of live sand (any deeper bottom layers being dry sand), and a mixture between dry and wet live rock initially. Any corals for the tank are likely to just be zoes and softies, like my 9 gallon, 35ltr, tank.

I currently breed a lot of livefood, both for my smaller tank and for my freshwater tanks I have. These include daphnia, grindle worms, vinegar eels, microworms, bbs, and looking to set up a tank for copepods as well.

I make my own saltwater as I have an RO/DI unit.

I am wondering what would be suitable for this tank? Especially considering I am still reasonably new to keeping saltwater tanks.

The only ones for sure are
1x Cleaner Shrimp (the reason I wanted a saltwater tank since I first saw one as a kid)
1x Royal Gramma (the condition of getting help moving the tank around and setting it up (still like them, so no issue for me))

Possibilities I am thinking of
1x Goby/Shrimp pair
1x Jawfish

Fish that I know I am not interested in, no matter how many have tried to persuade me otherwise.
Clownfish

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether that be about the stockings, or maybe even what rock amount or preferred sands.
Thanks

Not sure I'd put a goby/shrimp pair and a jawfish together in a smaller tank and the goby/shrimp pair would probably have a longer chance of survival in a smaller tank. I like both but find the interaction between a watchman and pistol shrimp to be fascinating to watch.

I like a mix of caribsea aragonite and caribsea special grade for sand.

Not sure I'd put a goby/shrimp pair and a jawfish together in a smaller tank and the goby/shrimp pair would probably have a longer chance of survival in a smaller tank. I like both but find the interaction between a watchman and pistol shrimp to be fascinating to watch.

I like a mix of caribsea aragonite and caribsea special grade for sand.
Great, thank you.

It is why they were possibilities, as I knew I wouldn't be able to have them both but really one or the other if I even do have one of them.
They were said partially as a help towards what might catch me.

So a mixture of both sands? Is the special grade not really fine?
If so, would the 12,000lph wavemaker I plan on using not push around the sand.

Thanks for the reply!

Great, thank you.

It is why they were possibilities, as I knew I wouldn't be able to have them both but really one or the other if I even do have one of them.
They were said partially as a help towards what might catch me.

So a mixture of both sands? Is the special grade not really fine?
If so, would the 12,000lph wavemaker I plan on using not push around the sand.

Thanks for the reply!
Last I recall, special grade isn’t too fine. As for the wavemaker, is it controllable? If so, should be able to dial it in as needed. If it’s not, should still be able to position it to allow proper flow without too much of a sand storm.

As for rock, I always prefer live rock. The amount of life can keep me mesmerized for hours. Not sure if you’re in the US or not, but we can get aquacultured rock, Australian and limited amounts of aquacultured Walt Smith from Fiji.

For livestock, I agree with the goby/shrimp pair. Perhaps a couple firefish, maybe a possum wrasse, maybe a cherub or flame back angel (can nip corals), or maybe cardinals

Last I recall, special grade isn’t too fine. As for the wavemaker, is it controllable? If so, should be able to dial it in as needed. If it’s not, should still be able to position it to allow proper flow without too much of a sand storm.

As for rock, I always prefer live rock. The amount of life can keep me mesmerized for hours. Not sure if you’re in the US or not, but we can get aquacultured rock, Australian and limited amounts of aquacultured Walt Smith from Fiji.

For livestock, I agree with the goby/shrimp pair. Perhaps a couple firefish, maybe a possum wrasse, maybe a cherub or flame back angel (can nip corals), or maybe cardinals
Not controllable, however like you said, positioning should help — was just wondering as got it running in a slightly longer tank currently and it is strong enough to batter the cichlids if I don't have it right.

I am from the UK. Was thinking a base of dry then using live on top and in front of it, as I also like the look of the live stuff as well as the action that can happen with it.

Great, was one point thinking the goby/shrimp for my smaller tank, but then went for yellow clown goby as well as a firefish!
Due to this, not interested in another firefish as both tanks are visible within one eyeshot — as well as I believe the RG might fight with them?

Been recommended wrasse so will look into them as well as the others you have said.
Cardinals are another that have always held my attention, I just didn't realise my tank would be large enough for them.

Thanks for your help!

It's a nice range of sizes when mixed together and the pistol shrimp and utilize the bigger chunks for their cave building. It's not to fine either like oolite.

It's a nice range of sizes when mixed together and the pistol shrimp and utilize the bigger chunks for their cave building. It's not to fine either like oolite.
Great, thank you. Mixing it does sound very nice as it is what has been done with my current.

Been recommended wrasse so will look into them as well as the others you have said.
Cardinals are another that have always held my attention, I just didn't realise my tank would be large enough for them
A possum or pink streak wrasse would fit in perfectly.

A possum or pink streak wrasse would fit in perfectly.
Thank you, I will look into both and possibly add them to the possibilities list!
Is there not the chance of them going for the Cleaner Shrimp? (I could also do Cleaner Shrimp in the 9 maybe)

Thanks

Thank you, I will look into both and possibly add them to the possibilities list!
Is there not the chance of them going for the Cleaner Shrimp? (I could also do Cleaner Shrimp in the 9 maybe)

Thanks
No, I highly doubt it and the cleaner could be bigger then them.

Here's what a mix of those two aragonite and special grade from Caribsea looks like mixed together

IMG_20231107_193119558_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231107_193119558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231107_193119558_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Back