overflow/ Return pump

hckycoz

so im new at this and need to know weather i buy a pump with more power, or an overflow with more flow, or do i try to match them or what?

You generally buy the pump with more power. My over flow is rated for 900 gph. I have a MAG 12 that's rated for 1200 gph. You can always put a "T" with a ball valve before it returns to the tank if your over flow can't keep up.

I always like to have an overflow rated for more flow then my pump.

But you have to take into consideration for head pressure on your pump.

So a 900 g/h pump only pumps only pumps 900 at 0' above the pump.
at 5 feet it might only pump 400 g/h

I used this calculator http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php
to help me when I was setting my system up.

SR has a good point to you can do what he is saying but some pumps are not made to have a lot of back pressure. This can lead to a shortened life of your pump.

there is another way to do this by putting a pipe T and have a valve on the end of the tee which puts water back into the sump. By diverting water to the sump it does not hurt the pump and decrease the water to the tank.

Hope this helps
Todd

there is another way to do this by putting a pipe T and have a valve on the end of the tee which puts water back into the sump. By diverting water to the sump it does not hurt the pump and decrease the water to the tank.

This is what I was saying about the "T", I guess I didn't explain that very good.

so do we need to look at a specific pump for the overflow (brand) or do you just use the same ones as you would in the main tank?

SR I got what you were saying but it also sounded like you could of meant use a valve and to cut the water flow down to the tank...

But since you used Tee in there I figured you meant to return some water to the Sump.

D_ice any return pump will work just try to figure what your head pressure will be so you know how much flow will be going to the tank. I like my over flow to handle 100 to 200 more g/h then my pump can put in the tank.

I test this by dumping in pitchers of water from the sump in to the tank and then making sure the water in the tank returns to normal.

How do i know if i need to replace the impellor on a mag drive pump? I bought a used one at the consignment sale and it wont work. the impellor will spin shortly the stop, then i knock it off the sides of a bucket and it starts the sputtering again. Is it shot or can i replace the impellor?

i soaked it in viegar for about 8 hours and it made no difference. should i leave it longer, is it broke, or do i need a new impellor?

Let it soak overnight and then a bit longer. Turn it on while it's in the bucket and let it run in there. Worst comes to worst, take it apart and let the pieces soak (if there's build up) .

When you say it runs then stops, does the impellor keep turning or is it seizing up? Does it keep humming or could there be a short in it it? Can you spin the impellor by hand?

it still humms and is getting power, i took it apart (the impellor came out is there more?) the impellor shakes like it wants to turn but wont. I can barely spin the impellor by hand.

Not too sure about the pump I have not experienced problems.

I have a 120 show it is a reef ready that drains 1600 gal/hour.

I have about 25 gal/min pumping to the tank so 1500 gal per hour.

this gives me a turn over rate at 12.5 times an hour.

these are the numbers you want to thing about and decide. I am wanting to get my tank close to 20 times an hour so this summer I plan on adding some Tunze's
this is a 80% sps tank

My 45 softy tank has a turn over of 9 times an hour

Hope this helps

Todd

P.S. this is a 80% sps tank

Back