Overly Aggressive Emerald Crabs?

TheDean

Here is a picture of my 6 dollar emerald crab eating my 30 dollar Purple Queen Anthia.
Picture2.jpg

Sad part is, this guy has done this twice now. I watched him in person catch the second one. To help with scaling, the crab is approximately 3 inches wide. Anyone know of a good way to catch emeralds? :(

Put a baited glass jar or some sort of long/narrow glass container in the tank at night. Set the jar/container at an angle against the rocks where the crab hangs out. The crab should go after the bait but will be unable to climb out of the jar.

Thanks a bunch. Will try.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930060#post12930060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikey Donuts
Put a baited glass jar or some sort of long/narrow glass container in the tank at night. Set the jar/container at an angle against the rocks where the crab hangs out. The crab should go after the bait but will be unable to climb out of the jar.
:D

I've had a few fish go missing as of late and suspect my emerald as well...I call him mr. bad because when I am in the tank he flexes his pincers and tries to take me on. I'm thinking it may be time to re-up with a little one or none at all.

Somestimes "emerald crabs" aren't "emerald crabs" -- that is, they are collected along with very similar crabs which are quite different in behavior and diet. I've seen them eating corals as well (toadstool leather, to be exact).

Well, I bet my emerald could whoop your emerald crabs azz:cool:

If you want me to bring em over so he can smack 'em around a bit, and teach him to behave we can arrange this:smokin:

:lol:
Im kidding of course! Key word for ALL crabs:"Opportunistic" sad but true :(

-Justin

Back