Owners Thread: Innovative Marine Fusion 40

Reduck I am batteling an algae issue also , It started out 3 months ago as what I thought were diatoms but now I think i have dinos :( I was doing extra water changes but I think it was feuling the dinos. I need to get a handle on it before it destroys my tank! I put an extra MJ900 from my old tank in the display area just to see if more flow will help and it seems better so I am also thinking of switching out the pump.
What is the size of the Eheim vac part and can it fit in small spots behind or on the side of the rock? I just picked up a sand vac but that one looks interested. This might be a dumb question but after you vacum do you need to add more salt water, or are you using the vac when you do water changes? I wanted to try and vacuum the top every day till I get a handle on this algae. Mine also pretty much goes away at night, and comes back when the lights come on.

Last edited:
This is like the second outbreak right? I know you don't over feed, how long have you had the radions up for? What intensity?

Get that pump in the tank, it's great. Nice of the wife to get a vacuum for the tank, my wife looks at me and thinks I am crazy when I ask for stuff for my tank!!

Reduck I am batteling an algae issue also , It started out 3 months ago as what I thought were diatoms but now I think i have dinos :( I was doing extra water changes but I think it was feuling the dinos. I need to get a handle on it before it destroys my tank! I put an extra MJ900 from my old tank in the display area just to see if more flow will help and it seems better so I am also thinking of switching out the pump.
What is the size of the Eheim vac part and can it fit in small spots behind or on the side of the rock? I just picked up a sand vac but that one looks interested. This might be a dumb question but after you vacum do you need to add more salt water, or are you using the vac when you do water changes? I wanted to try and vacuum the top every day till I get a handle on this algae. Mine also pretty much goes away at night, and comes back when the lights come on.

This is the vac. It filters the water and returns it so water loss is minimal. I've been using it daily. Seems like it has enough power to do the job and it's easy to clean.
http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Gravel-Cleaner-Sludge-Extractor/dp/B003C5U2SU

I don't think I need more circ with 2 mp's running but I have the other main pump standing by for next major cleaning..

This is like the second outbreak right? I know you don't over feed, how long have you had the radions up for? What intensity?

Get that pump in the tank, it's great. Nice of the wife to get a vacuum for the tank, my wife looks at me and thinks I am crazy when I ask for stuff for my tank!!

This is the same one I've been fighting. I still feed the tank only once a week. Reef roids and lrs frozen. The clowns get a few floating pellets nightly.
Radions have been up for about a month. Have them ramping up to 25% now after a couple weeks of acclimation. 25% at 14k lasts for 1 hour now and 25% at 20k for another two. Rest of the day they are ramping down deep blue till moonlight. My goal is to run 14k for at least 3-4 hours a day maybe more.

Changed out gfo/carbon for seagel this past week. Phosphates are lowest they've ever been. Nitrate is also acceptable now. It wasn't last month.

It's quite frustrating but I'll keep after it. Don't want to lose any more corals. Already have a fading trachy and all my gsp is gone after a Chemiclean treatment. No more quick fixes for me!

Lucky for me my wife loves the tank. She has a scoly garden going...she thinks they are so cool to watch while they eat....

Weird... you using RO-DI I would assume? What rock did you start out with?

I know that can be frustrated..i had an algae outbreak because I was traveling and my levels were off , but after a water change and a little dosing of NO3PO4 we are back in shape with some new coral and a RBTA.

I have played around with my lighting schedule, I am at 65 and trying to bring it up to 75...so far things are looking great...I have about 3 hrs of 14...no bleaching and everything is responding well.

Nw I need to find a LFS...there is not anything in Westchester that i have seen or liked..

Weird... you using RO-DI I would assume? What rock did you start out with?

I know that can be frustrated..i had an algae outbreak because I was traveling and my levels were off , but after a water change and a little dosing of NO3PO4 we are back in shape with some new coral and a RBTA.

I have played around with my lighting schedule, I am at 65 and trying to bring it up to 75...so far things are looking great...I have about 3 hrs of 14...no bleaching and everything is responding well.

Nw I need to find a LFS...there is not anything in Westchester that i have seen or liked..

Wow! 65 is pretty aggressive. I figured I would be there by spring! I guess I'm being too conservative.

Yep. Rodi tds is 0. All rock came from my previous tank, established with no problems. Except my largest piece which was dry and I cooked that up for a while prior to placing it.
I am guessing it's the sand leeching silicates. Combine that with the phospahtes and you get this..That was new live aragonite sand. I wanted reef flakes but they were out...

It looks better every day now that I am removing it manually..doing it weekly with water changes was get me nowhere fast..

I'm lucky with lfs. Ultimate Corals is right down the road and I have at least 3 quality livestock shops within 30 min. I'm not putting anything new in until I get this outbreak under control..

That would do it....At least you know what it is.

I had my lights at 65 since day one, but I have them slowly acclimating on a two week period.. All the new coral and the BTA is looking good. Apparently I have the peppermint shrimp that eat coral... they attacked my torch coral frag that came in...though it was not looking at the beginning.

Yea. I had a cleaner shrimp like that. Ate my torch. And he's been rehomed. I think my emerald has taken to zoas. He gone soon too. I still have a pair of peppermints that I am on the fence with. They may be munching on my trachy...if I catch them, they'll be gone too....

I'm lucky with lfs. Ultimate Corals is right down the road and I have at least 3 quality livestock shops within 30 min. I'm not putting anything new in until I get this outbreak under control..[/QUOTE]

Where are these lfs and ultimate corals? Are you in Jackson NJ?

Good to know Reduck. Like you, as soon as I get a handle on this algae. My son just gave me most of his corals because he is relocating to another state. I would have waited putting anything new in my tank, but I had no choice. I just ordered http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Gravel-Cleaner-Sludge-Extractor/dp/B003C5U2SU and should get it tomorrow. Then I am going to do a "lights out" for 3 days.

you'll love that vac. after a week of daily sandbed cleaning, I think I finally have a handle on my issue. I'll know tonight. In any event, its immensely better than it was!

If you are vacuuming real fine particles, you might consider shoving some floss in the collection bin to catch it so it doesn't disperse back out..I have not needed to do that yet, but I am watching closely at what comes out of the filter mesh...

you'll love that vac. after a week of daily sandbed cleaning, I think I finally have a handle on my issue. I'll know tonight. In any event, its immensely better than it was!

If you are vacuuming real fine particles, you might consider shoving some floss in the collection bin to catch it so it doesn't disperse back out..I have not needed to do that yet, but I am watching closely at what comes out of the filter mesh...

I should be filter floss on the bottom, inside the mesh of the vacuum?
Do you hold it on the sand in a spot for a few seconds and vacuum so the sand goes inside, or just lightly over the top?

I should be filter floss on the bottom, inside the mesh of the vacuum?
Do you hold it on the sand in a spot for a few seconds and vacuum so the sand goes inside, or just lightly over the top?

I would stick the floss on the bottom. Going to try it tomorrow. I have been sinking the teeth in half an inch, letting it suck a load up, the slowly lifting up letting the sand pile back where it came from till it settles.
Don't lift it too fast or too high or you'll get a wet surprise!

It's doing well. Very light cover on the bed today. I may have this licked. Finally.
I'll do it one last time tomorrow then leave it for a few days to see what appears.

I'm up to 3 hrs at 14k 30% too.

I rearranged my aquascape today... I did not like all the rock and wanted more flow around the corners....

I think I am going to pick up the maxspect gyre 130 when it comes out. Like the idea of how it sends the water around. I can also tuck it in the corner too

I also am ordering up the IM LED light, going to throw some algae in the back and get more of a natural filtration

Cool. Curious to see how that gyre works out. It def looks interesting.
Did a final vacuum today. Very little growth on the bed. My corals are loving the additional light too. I'll bump it up another notch tomorrow. Perfect water test too...aside from thr freezing cold outside, it's a good day...😊

Back