Owners Thread: Innovative Marine Fusion 40

Well I just replaced my mp10 for an Icecap 1K, Still trying to tune it in. Looking forward to the water movement and control variable patterns.

For those who haven't seen, looks Like IM has a new Skimmer being released. Info is on MD
NUVOSkim DC Protein Skimmer Midsize AUQA Gadget - Innovative Marine

Looking forward to getting this one soon. Also for those using APS stands there is a shelf available.

Im really liking the better control and water movement of my new 1K. It is some what big, place it vertical in rear corner.

Can you put the shelf in an existing APS stand?

According to Paul at IM, he said yes. My concern is that it fits the complete opening in stand. No room from my understanding for dosing pumps ect. I havent gotten on yet, need to explore if it can be drilled (it can but if wet will cause wrapping). How to protect the opening?

If you get one post any feed back, I will do same.. I'm leaning for Skimmer first.

Added the New Skimmer last night, Like the fact pump is easier to remove for cleaning, its supper quite, and most of all while seeding no micro bubbles...

IM 40 Nuvo fusion just arrived
This thread has been helpful.
I am no closer to choosing the lighting than I was two monrhs ago.
Is there, at all a consensus regarding the best unit. Even with searching this one thread, I canot tell.

Regards,
JV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IM 40 Nuvo fusion just arrived
This thread has been helpful.
I am no closer to choosing the lighting than I was two monrhs ago.
Is there, at all a consensus regarding the best unit. Even with searching this one thread, I canot tell.

Regards,
JV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Welcome to IM 40

I really don't think you will, the three LED all have advantages and dis, I went with AI year and half ago because of WIFI control, and price. Things have changed so need to review what your end goal is for life stock, features and then price,

Good luck can't wait to watch your build

I’m planning a return to the reefing hobby after being out for 4 years. Was in it for 6 years, finishing with a 75 g and a sump. This time, I want to go smaller and simpler with the IM Nuvo Fusion 40. I’ve decided on most of the equipment, but the choices sure have changed in 4 years and I could use some advice on the lighting and skimmer. (Gotta refresh my memory of the reefing lingo, too. LOL) I've read through some of this thread but there are a LOT of posts and its a lot to sort through!

For lighting, I’ve pretty much decided to go with the Radions that seem popular and that my LFS uses, but I’m not sure if I should go with the XR15 or theXR 30. It will be a mixed corals tank, but probably mostly softies and lps. I want to “do it right”, but I don’t want to needlessly pay twice as much for something that’s just “overkill”. Is one 15 enough? Or should I really get the 30?

As for the skimmer, I’ve narrowed it down to the IM ghost or the Tunze 9004, which seem to be the most popular choices with this tank, but there seems to be mixed reviews for both. I’d be interested in hearing about the experiences and pros and cons of anyone who has used both.

Also, what do you use in the side chambers with the socks? I see there are custom caddies available, too. Wondering if I should go ahead and get one of those or “wait and see”.

Of course, any other advice to the tune of “I wish I had done ______ when setting up mine” or “I bought ______ because of the hype but it turned out to be a waste of money or not much bang for the buck” are always welcome and appreciated. For example, I think I read somewhere in this thread a suggestion to but a pump in one of the chambers to turn on occasionally to help clean out detritus. Great idea. Just have to find the post again to remember which chamber

Thanks in advance!

I'm planning a return to the reefing hobby after being out for 4 years. Was in it for 6 years, finishing with a 75 g and a sump. This time, I want to go smaller and simpler with the IM Nuvo Fusion 40. I've decided on most of the equipment, but the choices sure have changed in 4 years and I could use some advice on the lighting and skimmer. (Gotta refresh my memory of the reefing lingo, too. LOL) I've read through some of this thread but there are a LOT of posts and its a lot to sort through!

For lighting, I've pretty much decided to go with the Radions that seem popular and that my LFS uses, but I'm not sure if I should go with the XR15 or theXR 30. It will be a mixed corals tank, but probably mostly softies and lps. I want to "œdo it right", but I don't want to needlessly pay twice as much for something that's just "œoverkill". Is one 15 enough? Or should I really get the 30?

As for the skimmer, I've narrowed it down to the IM ghost or the Tunze 9004, which seem to be the most popular choices with this tank, but there seems to be mixed reviews for both. I'd be interested in hearing about the experiences and pros and cons of anyone who has used both.

Also, what do you use in the side chambers with the socks? I see there are custom caddies available, too. Wondering if I should go ahead and get one of those or "œwait and see".

Of course, any other advice to the tune of "œI wish I had done ______ when setting up mine" or "œI bought ______ because of the hype but it turned out to be a waste of money or not much bang for the buck" are always welcome and appreciated. For example, I think I read somewhere in this thread a suggestion to but a pump in one of the chambers to turn on occasionally to help clean out detritus. Great idea. Just have to find the post again to remember which chamber

Thanks in advance!

Hello welcome back to the hobby. I to was out for almost 10 years, came back in with simular ideas you are.

For me love my IM40 great tank, awesome customer service from IM if needed as well. If you have looked at them get the APS stand as well. IM ATO reservoir, and replace stock pump with IM Mighty Jet its much Quieter than standard one.

I went with AI26 for light two years ago when I set mine up, so if the 15 compares with 26 it should be plenty of light.

Skimmer I went with Ghost, then resently up graded to IM's new one NOVOSKIM DC, far better than old ghost. Tunze remember you will loose one of your over flow chambers only place it fits.

I'm using two custom caddies, didn't like to deal with sock cleaning. Plus my washing machine broke a couple as well. I'm running IM purity pack in one (replace monthly) the other I'm running Chemi pure Blue, Marine pure...

Tried refug in one I had no luck

Also I find Icecap 1K pump to work quite well

Aqua medic EVO4 great dosing pump

Please let me know if this helps... Can't wait to watch your build

Thanks for the tips, AZReef13. I do like IM's ATO reservoir. If I don't get one right away, I will at some point. I will definitely check out the IM Mighty Jet. Quieter is always better!

I didn't realize the current Ghost skimmer is a new model. That definitely makes me feel better about getting that one. I like that it's a perfect fit and not losing an overflow chamber. The caddies sounds like a good idea, too.

Do you have problems with detritus build up in the back? That's why someone suggested putting a small pump in there.

Thanks for the tips, AZReef13. I do like IM's ATO reservoir. If I don't get one right away, I will at some point. I will definitely check out the IM Mighty Jet. Quieter is always better!

I didn't realize the current Ghost skimmer is a new model. That definitely makes me feel better about getting that one. I like that it's a perfect fit and not losing an overflow chamber. The caddies sounds like a good idea, too.

Do you have problems with detritus build up in the back? That's why someone suggested putting a small pump in there.

Yes I do get some, but I just put it in my maintence plan. When I pull pump and skimmer for cleaning I just clean those areas for my water change.

I also use the Aquavitro line and add some Remediation in there as well. If not filmular, Aquavitro is Seachems upper line. Only available at LFS.

I have 8 fish and zero detectable nutrients so it hasn’t been an issue for me yet with a lack of mechanical. I do vacuum the sanded.

d11c4c0e26c7ebb88a1f84defef44c1a.jpg

I realize this post is a year old, but what are those orange/pink fish? Anthias?

I'm thinking of downsizing to a IM40 from my 90g and would like to bring my fox face over. He's about 4", do you think the IM40 is too small for something that large? He's not a big swimmer and mainly hangs out by my clowns.

I'm thinking of downsizing to a IM40 from my 90g and would like to bring my fox face over. He's about 4", do you think the IM40 is too small for something that large? He's not a big swimmer and mainly hangs out by my clowns.

Thats a good size fish, as long as you arent planning a lot of other fish it might be ok. Will need to watch chemistry to be sure of course...

Welcome to IM40 family

Hey guys read a lot of this thread and I learned so much about the Nuvo fusion 40 and now the Nuvo Ext are out what y'all think of the new external tank with the herbie overflow?

My self I'm planning on ordering my first tank ever the fusion 40 ext soon to be with a 120g basement sump. Been reading for years just never bought the tank?

Now to figure out how to plumb a tank....lol

Thats a good size fish, as long as you arent planning a lot of other fish it might be ok. Will need to watch chemistry to be sure of course...

Welcome to IM40 family

Is be transferring him, cardinal fish, file fish, flasher wrasse and maybe my clowns. I might get them a different tank. I'd like to ditch the foxface but my wife likes him.

I would most definitely not put a foxface in a IM40. That tank is like 2 feet long? Fox face should be in nothing shorter than 4 foot tank at least 90-120 gallons. Only asking for trouble if you do and more importantly, it is cruel to the fish.

Yeah, that might be too much for that tank. Maybe the New IM75?

Post this question on main forums, and see what the others think?

Back