Ozone and Parrots

Fast Fred

New member
Just curious...

Does anyone here run an ozone generator in their system, and also own a parrot?

It is my understanding that ozone that escapes from a system could be toxic to the sensitive lungs of a bird. My reef is in my home office and so is my Blue and Gold Macaw.

I've always wanted to run ozone in my system, but was fearful of hurting the bird.

Anyone have experience with this?
 

clkwrk

New member
We have a yellow nape, african grey, ringnecks, sengals and others . No problems over the last 2 years almost.
 

steve the plumb

In Memoriam
some birds are more sensitive to smells and odors.I would be carefull with teflon.Yes teflon coated frying pans release and odor wich can be toxic to birds.My friends bird died because of it.He had no idea why the bird died untill he went to a special vet for birds.
 

neuroslicer

Old School Reefer
I have ozone bubbling into the Mag3 pump that powers my AquaC Urchin pro skimmer. Ozone enters the skimmer, and then I have a bag of carbon on the efflux water to trap any residual ozone leaving the skimmer. If I'm not careful in adjusting the output of air from the ozone generator, it will bubble up from my Mag3 pump and I'll begin to smell it... so just keep an eye on your ozone generator output and don't let it get too high.
 

clkwrk

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8073183#post8073183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steve the plumb
some birds are more sensitive to smells and odors.I would be carefull with teflon.Yes teflon coated frying pans release and odor wich can be toxic to birds.My friends bird died because of it.He had no idea why the bird died untill he went to a special vet for birds.

Thats why we don't use teflon .......
 

hahnmeister

In Memoriam
If possible I would vent the skimmer's output air to the outside to be sure. I kept birds back when I could tolerate the noise, and I remember their lungs being very sensitive... ozone cant be good.
 

outy

New member
so i keep my mullacan away from the kitchen when frying viddles

first i heard of the teflon thing. 8 years he goes everywhere with me.

thanks for the heads up
 

Fast Fred

New member
Thanks for all the replys, guys.

I was aware of the Teflon emisions. It is my understanding that the teflon must reach a temp of somewhere around 400-500 degrees F. before it releases the toxins. I personally don't use Teflon products in cooking. I kinda feel that they're not good for humans either. Where does the Teflon go that chips off the pan? In your belly, right? I prefer cast iron with a good coating of carbon - all natural.

Sorry about getting off topic. Back to the ozone...

The LifeReef skimmer I have has bubbles coming out of the drain water. If I were to feed the skimmer with ozone, wouldn't these bubbles contain ozone and then cause it to leave the sump and into the room? Is this preventable with carbon in some way?

I had read about a guy who had all the symtoms of and was diagnosed with lung cancer. Turned out it was excessive ozone in his house being released from the reef. Not cancer. This made me think of what it might do to a bird.

CLKWRK - do you contain the ozone somehow? Carbon?

Thanks again folks for the advise.
 

steve the plumb

In Memoriam
I think you can ask randy about that(reef chemistry forum) some people run carbon threw the onzoe or at the end of it not sure because I don't uese it.Its supposed to be safer.I don't know how long the carbon would last.I don't think its placed it water rather at some point its run through a carbon chamber.Randy has some pics.I think ozotec makes a reactor if I can remember.
 

raddogz

Premium Member
I have run ozone off and on for the past few years and my cockatiels have not shown any ill effects nor my dog. The two bird cages sit in-between the two aquariums.
 

Fast Fred

New member
raddogz, That's very interesting! Thanks for your input. Do you ever smell the ozone escaping? Do you have a controller on it? What is your ORP and at what rate do you input the ozone?

Does anyone have a preference on the brand of ozone generator?
 

raddogz

Premium Member
I run a 50g Sander's unit like clkwrk. I don't smell ozone, and if I ever do it means it's running too high.

I have only now just begun to dose ozone with a controller. I would only dose 15 to 20 mg/hour before into my 58g.

I do have an orp controller and have it set at 380 on my 120g. I inject the ozone via an airpump into the air inlet of my Euro-Reef skimmer.
 

75reef

New member
Run the escaping air through a bag of high quality carbon to avoid any problems. And don't use any of those ozone generating
air cleaners either for that matter. Ozone is a powerfull oxidizer and can even do harm to furniture if released in high enough concentration. I had a leather couch that had some damage to the end panel ...the skimmer cup sat next to it for 4 years and discolred the leather on one side. The white residue inside the distributor cap on your car is from the ozone generated by the spark of the ignition. Pretty potent stuff.
 

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Premium Member
IMO, I'd always use a substantial carbon column to treat the ozonated air and water before it is released to my home or tank. If I can smell it, I wouldn't accept it.

These articles have more:
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php
 

raddogz

Premium Member
As Randy pointed those are all good links to some very good info.

I will also note that my tanks as well as my birds are in the garage (separate room). The garage area is not drafty by any means but does get good cross ventilation several vents.
 

Fast Fred

New member
Thanks for all the responses. I'm reading all three articles that Randy linked to. So far, I'm seriously considering getting an ozone generator, unless I read something in the articles that changes my mind. Also, my thinking so far is to feed the ozone into my venturi LifeReef skimmer, and then filter the output water and air with carbon.

Thanks again for all the input.
 
Top