Pair of Galaxy Clarkii Clownfish fighting after adding Anemone

coondogg97

Premium Member
The (Galaxy Clarkii) Clowns were paired when I purchased them. I had them in the tank together for about a month before adding a RBTA. It took a day or two for it to start hosting the male and about a day later it started hosting the female as well. Right after that she started going after the male and now doesn't want his little behind anywhere near her or the anemone. His fins look fine so I dont think she is nipping at him and I've even seen him go back at her a couple of times. She is growing faster than he is, so there is a little bit of a size difference between them. I've read that this is semi normal and in time she may or may not let him back in with her. If at this point I were to get another anemone would she take that one over too since she is bigger and seems more aggressive than he is? My current RBTA isn't small and there is more than enough room for fatty and her beaten mate so I have a feeling if I picked up another BTA she would take over that bed too. Any helpful thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

From what I’ve read, this is quite common but usually they are good with one hosting each (and swapping positions, like she chases him out of one so he goes to the other and then repeat)

Given enough space and mostly time, the male will likely be ok whether you purchase another anemone or not. The female will enforce dominance from here out, but the lack of any fin damage so far is a good sign that things are normal. I'd be willing to bet she'll let the male in somewhere eventually. Have you noticed where the male sleeps at night?

From what I’ve read, this is quite common but usually they are good with one hosting each (and swapping positions, like she chases him out of one so he goes to the other and then repeat)
Given enough space and mostly time, the male will likely be ok whether you purchase another anemone or not. The female will enforce dominance from here out, but the lack of any fin damage so far is a good sign that things are normal. I'd be willing to bet she'll let the male in somewhere eventually. Have you noticed where the male sleeps at night?

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. So a lot has happened since I posted that. The RBTA ended up splitting, 3 times actually so they each had their own anemone. Unfortunately the female was still being territorial and chasing the male out of any anemone that would host him. Even at night, they would go at it all night. It got to the point where she was nipping at him and his fins started to show it. So I ended up buying a 5 gallon tank and moving the female to that tank. I kept her there for over a month. During that time I fed the male more often to get some size on him. All the tank mates were more comfortable with the female gone. The shrimp started to come out, the goby stayed out more often, everything was calm. After a month of separation I took the male home and put him in the 5 gallon with the female. She checked him out for a few minutes and then started to go after him again with vengeance. So I took the male back out and brought him back to his tank. I gave the female to someone I work with that has a 200 gallon tank along with one of the anemones that she had taken over. So all in all it ended well after the divorce. Thanks again for the tips though, I appreciate it.

Sounds like the male made out in the divorce. He got two homes she only got one lol

Back