palythoa grandis/ cinammon polyps

phlipper84

I have seen these quoted as both items. However, I have never seen them actually for sale. I have finally found them in a fish store and I am curious as to whether anyone has ever seen them with prices attached.
93829grandis.jpg

i have seen them offered on dr. fosters a few weeks back but don't remember what they were asking. i have them as well . they don't spread that fast but they do grow large!

Yours looks sort of like mine in shape. I cant tell what your colors are though. Mine were found off of Pensacola, FL. I'm not sure what kind it is, everyone just calls them local polyps
100922zoos2.jpg

a small fortune! In the LFS good blasto/acan range. I find them so amazing, especially the ones that I am looking at, I will probably pay what they are looking for. In this area, they are never available and I have had a store looking for them for the past 6 months. They are exactly like yours, BS.

are they pricing them by the polyp or is it a colony? if it's a colony how many polyps are there? How much this is killing me :(

The per polyp price is 70 dollars. The colony ones are depedent on how many polyps. I think the largest one had about 7 and was 300 dollars.

:eek1: :eek2: :eek:

PM sent.......... They have a pretty potent Toxin.... when I handle them i've had tingling in my arm up to my elbow

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6823332#post6823332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
$70 A POLYP??? :eek:

that colony up top runs less than $50 at the LFS here.

I would agree on that, I see them on Eb@y with shipping in that price range. they are not that popular. unless you see some in person they are not very impressive. Their size and appearance do make them stand out in a crowd :smokin:

Holy crap! I get them about $10 per polyp around here... maybe I should go into business...

Ludwigia73 you could collect them yourself ;) you florida livin lucky dog :smokin:

exactly. I only live 2500+ miles from Florida. Not much of anything gets exported here from Fla. Probably because of the conditions placed on collecting there. We are kinda at the mercy of location. Things are always available cheaper someplace else it seems. I could get you some desert sand really, reallly cheap! I also refuse to buy livestock by mail. Too many headaches to be had.

I've seen them called Cinnamon polyps around here. I local fish store had some and was asking around $10 a polyp. Seems expensive for a brown Carribean polyp.

I picked up some (Proto)Palythoa grandis/toxica (not sure if it's proto or not) about 7 months ago. I paid $30/polyp. I bought one polyp but it had two little buds. I now have about 6 to 7 polyps and it's one of my favorites. Mine have a lot of green and some yellow in them (they color up better with a little shade). The pictures above all look similar but I think the size is the big difference. My polyps when extended are about 2 inches across. They also eat like pigs I feed them directly with a turkey baster. Yes they are very toxic hence the old name of toxica. I think Anthony Calfo has some stories about the toxicity on WetWebMedia.com

I think $70/polyp is a little high but they are one of my favorite corals and I would be tempted to pay that for them.

Notice the size compared to other zoas. They really colored up when out of the direct light. I don't have a newer pictures (I have to send the camera in for repair...)
76254grandis.jpg

Back