Palytoxin

mrstihl

I have not visited this site in ages so forgive me if this exact article has been covered.

My wife is an emergency physician and saw this article in acep regarding zoanthids. She is fully aware of palytoxin due to my hobby but as the article covers if you ever need to visit the er due to reaction, odds are, the physician will have no idea what you are talking about, so make sure you know what and how to explain yourself in an intelligent manner and that your loved ones can do the same. Spoiler alert in the article the patient recovered before palytoxin was considered even though he mentioned exposure. FYI there is nothing they can do to "cure you," but they should be able to keep you alive until it wears off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.acepnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ACEP_Dec_Web.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwic-ZPnzKbRAhUq6YMKHZUEDgAQFggoMAM&usg=AFQjCNH-w97Kb_XOokSkyeYLVZXviyrpZw&sig2=aANqF246E78ry-hyvB7Gpw

Keep safe and happy reefing.

Cool find. Yesterday I was skimming an article up on NIH about a documented rise of palytoxin diagnoses. I learned some new things, like that many disparately related marine organisms produce the toxin. Dinoflagellates, who knew?!

edit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4771986/ "Palytoxin-Containing Aquarium Soft Corals as an Emerging Sanitary Problem"

Although I knew they were present in my thriving field of palythoas, I did a major cleanup/relocation of the tank without thinking twice. About 2/3 of the way done, I realized that my arm was a bit red - sort of a sunburn like feeling. I offhandedly told my wife "If I stop breathing, call 911 and start CPR. Tell them it's palytoxin" Not surprisingly, I got a ??????? look from her until I explained myself. That got me a whole different look! By the next morning my arm was covered with large blisters so off the Urgent Care I went. When I showed the nurse my arm I was taken right in past all the people waiting their turn. The Dr. called poison control. They asked if I was still alive!

It ended up costing me a week off work and some permanent scarring on my arm. I am now the proud owner of shoulder length gloves (coralvue $20) and have banished the palys from my tanks.

Although I knew they were present in my thriving field of palythoas, I did a major cleanup/relocation of the tank without thinking twice. About 2/3 of the way done, I realized that my arm was a bit red - sort of a sunburn like feeling. I offhandedly told my wife "If I stop breathing, call 911 and start CPR. Tell them it's palytoxin" Not surprisingly, I got a ??????? look from her until I explained myself. That got me a whole different look! By the next morning my arm was covered with large blisters so off the Urgent Care I went. When I showed the nurse my arm I was taken right in past all the people waiting their turn. The Dr. called poison control. They asked if I was still alive!

It ended up costing me a week off work and some permanent scarring on my arm. I am now the proud owner of shoulder length gloves (coralvue $20) and have banished the palys from my tanks.
Had several bouts with it myself. Never went to the doctors. Had some very nasty sores on my hand and sever respiratory issues with high fevers twice. All from cleaning the palys off my rocks in my old tank. I own no palys in my new system. Thankfully my file fish loves them as snacks

Nope, not going there again. Spending 18 hours in the ER was enough for me. I consider myself lucky, many have had it far worse.

Palytoxin is no joke, it did a number on me with lasting effects. I stupidly used hot water to clean an overflow weir, the steam transported the toxin and I inhaled it. The bill was staggering.

Back