PAR for LPS

thaitopher

Thinking about adding torch, frogspawn, star polyps to my 20 gallon nano. What are the general PAR requirements for these guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well star polyps will be fine in low light. The others will be good in medium light. Not sure about exact par.

Euphyllia can handle anything from low to high light(if acclimated slowly). Gentle flow is more important for them. What lighting do you have?

Euphyllia can handle anything from low to high light(if acclimated slowly). Gentle flow is more important for them. What lighting do you have?

I get 200 PAR in middle of tank and 50 PAR at bottom. IMG_0326.jpg

I have found various sources of data on this and it's not unusual for them to disagree a bit. Take a look at Vivid aquariums, he shares some general PAR numbers for his coral. That should give you a general target.

From my experience and what I read on RC it seems there is a rather forgiving range of lighting that many LPS will tolerate.

I have found various sources of data on this and it's not unusual for them to disagree a bit. Take a look at Vivid aquariums, he shares some general PAR numbers for his coral. That should give you a general target.

From my experience and what I read on RC it seems there is a rather forgiving range of lighting that many LPS will tolerate.

Good to hear. For LPS with higher lighting requirements would keeping the light on for longer periods help?

Trying to compensate for lack of light intensity by increasing duration is a creative idea. I don't have any experience with that. The experience I do have is that I needed to reduce my photo period to address an algae issue one time so that is one thing to consider.

LPS generally like a medium light so about mid tank which normally means about 100-200 par would be a good range as long as you acclimated them slowly. But for lobos and brains i would keep on sand bed in about 75 par or maybe less.

Your PAR numbers will handle the corals you've listed.

I've read studies on different photo periods for corals and while it would obviously be different between species, it seems that their photo receptors have a limit to the amount of light they will absorb. I forget what they found the mean time frame to be but I think it was in the 4-5 hr range. So, extending the photo period by leaving your lights on longer would most likely not have the effects you desire. Most algaes on the other hand, would love an extended photo period.

I keep my Euphyllia between 100 and 250 par and currently run my MHs 7 hours a day.

Running lights longer is not a substitute for higher par.

Your PAR numbers will handle the corals you've listed.

I've read studies on different photo periods for corals and while it would obviously be different between species, it seems that their photo receptors have a limit to the amount of light they will absorb. I forget what they found the mean time frame to be but I think it was in the 4-5 hr range. So, extending the photo period by leaving your lights on longer would most likely not have the effects you desire. Most algaes on the other hand, would love an extended photo period.

Thanks. Good to know.

My torch is at about 150 and my three headed bubble coral is at maybe 250 PAR. Both are in what you would probably consider "extremely high flow."

Here are the par levels on my 90 running a reef breeders photon 48 at 60 pct blue channel / 40 pct white channel.

par_reefbreeders_60_40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back