Passer angelfish with open wounds help.

NVTE

I rescued this Angelfish from horrific condition. He is still baby, with 2 open wound on the head. Can some one identy and recommend the med to help him. He is in my frag tank now but willing to set up qt tank to treat and bring him back to health before finding him a new home. TIA

I rescued this Angelfish from horrific condition. He is still baby, with 2 open wound on the head. Can some one identy and recommend the med to help him. He is in my frag tank now but willing to set up qt tank to treat and bring him back to health before finding him a new home. TIA

Why is it in your frag tank now?

It should be in QT at once, I tend to think.

I always use UV to reduce the incidents of bacterial infection, but when there is large open wound I will opt for treatment with antibiotic at once. My first choice is mostly erythromycin for five days.

This drug tends to harm the nitrobactor class of bacteria more so you will have some nitrite but not very much ammonia when you use it if there is existing good nitrification in QT. If you don't, you will need massive WC for a few days.

After several days of antibiotic treatment I will resume UV.

Why is it in your frag tank now?

It should be in QT at once, I tend to think.

I always use UV to reduce the incidents of bacterial infection, but when there is large open wound I will opt for treatment with antibiotic at once. My first choice is mostly erythromycin for five days.

This drug tends to harm the nitrobactor class of bacteria more so you will have some nitrite but not very much ammonia when you use it if there is existing good nitrification in QT. If you don't, you will need massive WC for a few days.

After several days of antibiotic treatment I will resume UV.
That is only place I have for him now, the water condition is much better than the previous one. I have him for 1 week and the wound doesn't seem to spread. Seem like to have to set up qt ASAP and head to Lfs for med. thanks

open wound

open wound

maracyn 2 for saltwater worked great but it was discontinued. you can use maracyn 2 for fresh water, just double the dosage.

Back