Peninsula overflow box pros/cons ?

zues2006

I have been researching more on tanks and options for my 90- 120G project.
I discussed a peninsula overflow the other day and I am very intrigued.
Positives: allows for hidden plumbing, saves space outside the tank, and less opportunities for leaks outside the tank.
Negatives: reduced total water volume inside the tank, takes up more space inside the tank than smaller overflows, and blacks out the side of the tank.

I was going to put my tank in the corner of the room. I am still unsure, but I think about 8-10" from the wall, as I was considering a separate stand/shelf system (apart from the tank stand) for my ballasts and some of the more common used tools.
My tank stand will house my sump, and I wanted some easier access for tools and test kits, etc/safe dry containment for my lighting ballasts.

I plan on using the overflow to direct the water from my main display to my sump, and then coming back up thru the overflow will be the return pipes sending water back into the display tank. I love the idea of the water flow staying contained internal to the display tank without opportunity of plumbing leaks in the back of the tank and overall reducing visibility of the plumbing.

Does anyone have a peninsula overflow box on the side of their tank ? Do you like it ? How much actual space/volume did it actually take away from the internal water volume ?
Any input from hobbiests would be greatly appreciated. Up until this weekend, I wasn't away the overflow could be utilized as the return water solution.
My biggest concern is amount of volume the peninsula overflow will take from the display tank, and possibly the issues with maintenance down the road on the plumbing in the overflow having difficult access due to potentially very extremely limited access space.

A bulkhead leak is a leak no matter if it's on the side of the tank or a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank.

For a peninsula style tank there are numerous small overflow boxes with the holes on the side wall of the tank. They barely take up an inch of width inside the tank and approx. 16-20" long depending on how much flow you want.

This type would be my go to box regardless of where you drill the holes. It gives almost the whole footprint of your tank for corals.

https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/overflows-systems/products/24-overflow-kit

The piping on the side wall or corner isn't a concern to me as I value the inner space more. It's also much easier working with plumbing you can see when standing up vs having to hunker under the tank.........I prefer not to have to do yoga or gymnastics when plumbing a tank:D

Last edited:
Yoga, yea. I am not getting any more flexible. Something I have to consider. I don't have experience dealing with tanks with overflows/drilled holes and how frequently they spring a leak. Are leaks a once a 5 year issue, or once a 20 year issue, or once at any time issue ?

Bulkheads usually seal fine if you hand tighten them. They won't leak if set right.

That's awesome to hear! Did you make a peninsula as well? I would love a pic to see the layout.

Back