Pet adoption?

DgenR8

I'm an American, and I remember
Staff member
RC Mod
Hi all,
My family just lost our 8 y/o Pit Bull. Only 8 months ago, we lost our black Lab.
I have always kept two dogs, not because losing one is not as hard when you still have one, but it works that way for me.
When we lost Buck last summer, and were down to just one, I didn't get a second one, because I knew my Pit's temperament. She was getting up in age, and wasn't going to be happy about bringing in a new dog.
Now that we lost her, the emptiness in my house is horrible.
I've had many dogs in my life, none are ever a replacement for one you lose, they each have a distinct personality, and reasons why you fall in love with them.
I'm really looking to fill some of the vast cavern left behind when Nikki moved on.
I'm a fan of large breed dogs, and prefer a female, but the only "must" in this situation is lovable and won't eat my grandsons.
Anyone know someone with a dog to rehome, or have a contact in an adoption agency? With the shut down, it's not an easy find.

Sorry for your lose buddy
better to adopt then buy so your in the right direction but I know it a pain in butt so people end up buying...
they will not let you leave with one when you go that day and they do backround checks and might even come to your house so it can take weeks to get ..... the place in Freeport by BJ's has pitbulls for adoption so try calling them ..forgot the name

I’m no stranger to adopting here, on LI. I got 2 from North Shore Animal League and 2 from Town of Hempstead. Both want references and give an interview. I’ve never had them come to my house.
We did foster a pit from a rescue up in Connecticut, but that didn’t work out, and I wouldn’t deal with them again.

So sorry to hear..I be been through it a few times myself and it's like losing a family member, but well worth the happiness they bring. I'm a large two dog person too and I currently have a male mastiff/boxer male, that we rescued from South Jersey, and a pit bull/ boxer female that we rescued from Burlington VT..I found them on Petfinder. Because of the distance they were only able to do phone background checks with my Vet and local rescues.
Anyway here's my burglary system
Tyson
d8dbae58a9c4502c6635dce3604979af.jpg

Ali
c04855a4c976f14f2ce58e7ea5e7504b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad you already rescued them. I’d take them both.
I’m checking local shelters, etc. it’s tough with the current health crisis, but maybe shelters will start opening by phase two.

Sorry to hear about the dogs. We put our 13 year old aussie down last year, everyone is getting desperate for a puppy here and looking we’re for another aussie.

13 is a good run for a large dog, I know it doesn't make the loss any easier, but you had to have treated him well to last that long.
I have searched through what seems like millions of pictures of adoptable dogs. Found someone on Craigslist that I'm certain was trying to pull a scam on me, and filled out applications for 5 or 6 shelters. I've gotten pulled into a vortex, looking at dogs, being interested, just to find out that they are across the country, somewhere.
While looking, I do not know if they were local or not, but I do remember two Aussie Shepherds, or at least Aussie Shepherd mixes.
I'm sorry can't give you more than that.

I lost one 20 years ago that I'm still not over. A great dog can't be forgotten, and I have been exceptionally lucky. The Doberman I lost 20 years ago might just be the greatest dog that ever lived. There's also no replacing a great dog, you can love another, but there are no two the same.
That said, through a site called getyourpet.com, I connected with someone who's dogs had an unexpected litter. I wound up adopting Peanut, a three month old female. Her mother is a Pit Bull. Broadest chest I've ever seen on a pit. Her daddy is a Cane Corso, or Italian Mastiff. Peanut is 48 lbs. at 3 months. At full size, she'll probably push 110, maybe even 120.
It's a challenging breed, but they are smart. With proper socializing, she should be the scary looking, giant MUSH that I want.
I wouldn't have taken this on except that my wife is working from home for at least the next three months. Peanut is already housebroken and knows to lay down and NOT beg while we eat.

That site, getyourpet, charges 100$ if you successfully adopt a dog, 50$ for a cat. Peanut was in Hicksville.

Back