Ph slow drop from Anion resin?

Notathumpa

Will the addition of an Anion cannister to my RODI system cause Ph to drop steadily over several months? I have the Anion prior to the mixed bed. My Ph has dropped to 7.84 over several months and my corals are not happy.

No.

Are you testing your TDS of your RODI system? You should have a 7 pH coming out of the RODI since your water shouldn't contain any minerals. If anything, it might be slightly acidic from CO2 in the water, but it should be negligable. Here is an interesting thread on this discussion

At the end of the day, pH in a tank for the most part doesn't matter. It won't make your corals mad, unless it is spiking up and down significantly daily. If it is swinging that much daily, it's more likely an issue with your alkalinity than pH directly. Check your alkalinity levels, and if those are fine, check your magnesium which helps stabilize alkalinity.

pH of topoff water doesn't matter because the minute it hits tank water, it turns to tank water pH.

What will increase your pH over the course of several months is that you might have had your windows open in the late winter, spring, early summer, and now they're closed, and your house fills with CO2 and doesn't exhaust as well. It'll be interesting to see if your pH goes back up once your windows open again.

Thanks RW. Zero TDS. I pipe skimmer air from outside. ESV salt and 2 part. Ca 420, Alk 8.5, Mg 1320. Just can't figure out the Ph drop? Did a 50 gal water change a couple weeks ago but Ph drifts right back down. My corals are losing color and vigor. I'll try another big water change. Tried Seachem Marine Buffer with no help. Don't like that method of control anyway. No Phosphate or Ammonia present though I have some kind of persistent green algae in my sand. Hoping for some sage advice from the RC members. Would love to see some comprehensive list of causes for Ph drops. I know most of the common ones.

Also the anion exchange resin will replace anions in water with OH-, higher OH- results in higher pH. So chemically it isn't even possible to get a lower pH due to your anionic resin.

ph at 7.8 isn't causing your coral problems. ph is a function of co2. If the co2 in the room isn't increasing then the problem is likely in the testing or the ph probe.

pH at 7.8 is a very common level for a house with the windows shut. I would ignore it. Many Tanks of the Month have run at 7.8. I suspect that the problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it and do some water changes to, hopefully, benefit the corals. The algae is still a mystery. I'll just keep siphoning it off until, eventually, all the sand is gone.

Back