Phoenix bulbs on electronic ballasts

Potsy

X-posted from the General Forum:
I'm now putting my metal halide pendants back into service over a 75 gallon reef. I'm using two phoenix double-ended 250w bulbs with magnetic ansi m80 ballasts. When the ballasts eventually have to be replaced I know it will be next to impossible to find another pair of m80s.

How do phoenix bulbs look when powered by luXcore select a watt ballasts on the hqi setting? Does one still get the crisp white with a hint of blue?

X-posted from the General Forum:
I'm now putting my metal halide pendants back into service over a 75 gallon reef. I'm using two phoenix double-ended 250w bulbs with magnetic ansi m80 ballasts. When the ballasts eventually have to be replaced I know it will be next to impossible to find another pair of m80s.

How do phoenix bulbs look when powered by luXcore select a watt ballasts on the hqi setting? Does one still get the crisp white with a hint of blue?
I think Hamilton still sells the magnetic ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Im preferring mine on electrinic ballast, but I like it slightly bluer. Like the Ushio 20k.. Hamilton still makes and sells the m80 ballast too if you want to stick with it.

I'd have to modify the ballast's quick disconnect outlet to fit my Aqua Medic pendants. They have that odd shaped connection.
Well I was running a Phoenix 14k in my Hamilton cebu sun with electronic ballast but now I am using the Hamilton 20k. Pretty nice bulb.

Well I was running a Phoenix 14k in my Hamilton cebu sun with electronic ballast but now I am using the Hamilton 20k. Pretty nice bulb.

The Hamilton pendants look nice. I might have to eventually buy the ballasts and new pendants together. I don't think Ocean Lights are the best reflectors.

just chop the cord and get the right cord through hammilton, its a positive, negative and a ground

I'd have to modify the ballast's quick disconnect outlet to fit my Aqua Medic pendants. They have that odd shaped connection.

If you have M80 right now, you can also, when the time comes, replace the components inside your case, no need to chop cords.

The bulb runs higher PAR on the M80 ballast. If that is what you are using now, you likely wont need to replace it. They last a long time. Mine are about 12 years old now. I had to replace the capacitor once and that was it. Cost me about $25 for that part - a lot less than a new ballast would cost.

Back