Phosphate reactor

Flacricket

I am thinking of getting a reactor. what are the pros & cons on a small system and does anyone have one cheap to see if it woks for me.

Thanks
Cricket

if you have a small system,I would go with two part . You will be glad you did , when you see the cost of setting up a calcium reactor . Ted

Sue doses 2-part every morning with no problems, its just like everything else you have to get a routine going and stick with it. But on the bright side thats one peice of equipment less you have to worry about.

Russ

2 little fishes makes small rweactors which work great, we were running 2 of them phosban and carbon off one pump mj 400 with no problem had plenty of power

Russ

Hey Ted,
what about a phosphate reactor. Should I use a reactor or just media in a mesh bag. po4 is the only thing that's not staying perfect with regular water changes. I use ro but it creeps up and I am battleing red slime

If you have the room, I would use a reactor (two actually) rather than the mesh bag. I run two reactors in sequence - first carbon that feeds to a phosphate reactor. I feed them from my fuge (which is feed directly from tank overflow) and then the output of the phosphate reactor goes to the chamber in my sump where my return pump is.

The reactors I use came from Bulk Reef Supply. That is also where I buy my bulk carbon and GFO at. Check out their website and video on setting these up. You are also welcome to come by and see my setup anytime.

Jim

I have a 2 chamber also. Mine goes through GFO first then carbon and is fed off the return pump. BFS has them.

Jim, Paul,

I noticed that you have them differant why did you go the way you did GFO or carbon first or does it matter? I have read that some carbon may have p04 in it.

Thanks to all for the input
Cricket

Cricket,

I went carbon first then GFO based on what Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) shows in their little video on setting up their reactors. They had a reason for it but frankly, I don't remember what it was. Paul may be better informed, so lets wait and see what his advice is.

Jim

So I take it that it is not a life or death thing. I think Ted has one used he is gonna sell to me so I will use it the way he has it.

Thanks
Cricket

Back