Phosphates?

iridude

I did a test yesterday and my phosphates where 0.07 and added a phosban reactor with Rowaphos. Did a test today and mow 0.05. How long before it goes to 0.02 my target? I used about 11 tbsp of rowaphos.I have about 60 gal of water.

Depends, for one thing, on where it's coming from. From your tap water? could be a short time. From rock or sand leaching it out continually? Could be a long haul.

If the test is accurate, the media might be exhausted. If the number doesn't drop in the next 12-24 hours, I'd replace it.

I agree that the sand and rock might leach phosphate for quite a long time. If the GFO starts to get expensive, lanthanum chloride products like SeaKlear can save some money, although they are more annoying to use.

Phosphate RX seems to be a lanthanum chloride product. It's usually safe enough if used with a 5-10 micron filter to catch the precipitate. A number of people have used it long-term, although dealing with the filter sock is a bit of a time sink.

I did a water change and now my phosphates are 0.9. I am using RO/DI water and 0 tds. Could it be salt mix? Or food? The reactor not working correctly? I am using the Hanna ULR by the way for testing

Not sure the Hanna will check RO/DI for phosphates, you could try, but you could certanily check a fresh batch of mixed salt water. That would give a good indication of a possible source.

What type of food are you feeding, how much, how often?

Feeding silversides and flakes every other day not a lot. I only have clown but just added falco, goby and pistol

How long has your tank been established, and what kind of substrate and rock situation do you have? How much rock? Dry rock? Live rock from another tank? How deep and how fine/course is your substrate?

Member #1 already suggested my next course of action, which is to test your fresh salt mix for phosphates. Removing it is one thing, but you also need to determine the initial source. You're either adding it in during water changes, or it's already present in the tank either in the rock/substrate.

40 lbs of dry rock from macro rocks; tank has been setup 2 months ago. Substrate I think caribsea sand like 2"

here is my reactor is this too slow? fast? or good?

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.mccaffery.12/videos/2564771800292365/

Bingo! I used Marco dry rocks on a build, nothing but hair algae for months. Then once the rocks slimmed over, the phosphates stopped leaching, the algae went away.

Search phosphates and Marco rock.

Here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pho...ome..69i57.14479j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Unfortunately I can't watch the video, I'm not on Facebook, but reactor speed is only part of a larger picture.

First thing first is to find the source of the phosphates. On a 2 month old tank, assuming you're not over-feeding, phosphates shouldn't be an issue yet. You really need to check your freshly mixed water BEFORE adding it to the tank.

Also, what's your water change schedule?

Unfortunately I can't watch the video, I'm not on Facebook, but reactor speed is only part of a larger picture.

First thing first is to find the source of the phosphates. On a 2 month old tank, assuming you're not over-feeding, phosphates shouldn't be an issue yet. You really need to check your freshly mixed water BEFORE adding it to the tank.

Also, what's your water change schedule?

hhaase, the OP stated his tank is 2 months old, and he used Marco rock. See my previous reply with links. I tend to believe that's where his phosphate problem is coming from.

hhaase, the OP stated his tank is 2 months old, and he used Marco rock. See my previous reply with links. I tend to believe that's where his phosphate problem is coming from.

That's my guess as well. I'm just thorough and like to eliminate possibilities.

-Hans

I am confused am using the Innovative Marine reactor with Rowaphos and my phosphates levels not decreasing. I used Phosphate Rx and now my phosphates reading 0.04. I have this in back of my red sea tank. Could it be location? Perhaps if I move it to another location I get better results? I guess I bought the wrong reactor and should of got Spectrapure Duel or another reactor this one I can test the output of reactor which stinks so I don't know if its working or not. Any suggestions?

You might be having a testing problem. That's fairly close to the detection limit of the Hanna meter, and we do get reports of reagent troubles. I might try measuring some freshly-mixed saltwater.

How much media is in the reactor, and how many gallons of water are in the tank?

I think my rock for sure is leaking phosphates. I had an algae issue really bad and bleached the rock and now it's a lot better keeping algae down. I am getting frustrated maybe get better rock like from Tampa Bay Saltwater maybe cure this, i don't know. I did get a very high reading from ATI lab was 0.17 phosphate and Phosphorus a whopping 55. Phosphorus I am unsure if that is basically the same thing or not.

Also had aluminum issue according to ATI test and could be because I was using Phosguard. I dont use that any longer

Back