Photo Contest - August 2022 - Full Tank Photo

JohnL

RC Staff
Staff member
Admin
Our sponsor @Dr. Reef of Dr. Reef's Quarantined Fish has generously offered to sponsor a monthly photo contest.

Each member can submit one photo per month.

This month's photo must be a full tank shot.

The photo with the most number of likes wins. The winner can choose a gem tang or $300 gift card.

Post your photo entry to this thread. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Here’s the 32 gallon Biocube Anemone Tank (iPhone 12 Pro Max with Orphek 15000K and 20000k lens stacked on top of each other)

4E02317F-34A1-4BD1-8451-0714708A43B0.jpeg

That sounds fair DR Reef, I will get a picture up soon. Just need to clean up the tank.

They're all great, so far. TimFish would get my nod based on just how cool natural light can be. I have memories of seeing what were once called "dutch mini reefs" using daylight, even part of the time; there's an allure all its own, kind of like acoustic vs. electric music.

They're all great, so far. TimFish would get my nod based on just how cool natural light can be. I have memories of seeing what were once called "dutch mini reefs" using daylight, even part of the time; there's an allure all its own, kind of like acoustic vs. electric music.

Thank you! It has been fascinating and educational using natural light but in the interest of full disclosure the windows have bronze tinting and the systems does have custom 250 watt LED fixtrues above it. :)

Here is a picture of my 5 years old reef tank taken on July 22nd, 2022 before the crash (due to a loose power connection which killed about 95% of the inhabitants) while my family and I were out of town on Aug 1st, 2022. The power came back on by simply readjusting the plug but it was already too late. This is the first disaster in the past 17 years of reefing.

Here is the photo for the contest.
1660592218512.png

Here are some shots after the crash. (not for the contest)
1660592727810.png

What a beautiful tank. Looks like you may have had some survivors coral wise though?
Thank you! Purple Stylo was added before the LEDs were added and has done well under a wide range of lighting spectrum and intensity. I've had good initila but very poor longterm success with birdsnest and a few acros I've tried, and it appears to be largely due to the variation in the seasonal changes in the amount of sunlight the tank get but I haven't tried any in several years. There's a couple purple rhodactis that have held on for a long time but are improving now they are getting shaded by the mangrove. Frogspawn, a red chalice and superman and green purple rhodactys have done well.

Back