Picasso clown eggs ready to hatch, water ?

ynot65

My Picasso clowns have been laying consistently over the last 6 months and are now producing steady good size clutches of eggs. I have rotifers on hand as wel as green water, nannochloropsis for the rotifers as well as roti-food. My question is I have a 2.5 gal tank for the hatch. Should I use water out of the existing tank where the eggs are or should I mix new water? Also souls I keep nannochloropsis seperate or is it ok to add some to the larval tank ?

I used a 10g tank for the hatch filled with about 4 gal of water. This way as the fry grow all I have to do is add more water. Use water from the broodstock tank so that everything is the same when you move the clutch. I never used nano so can't help you there, I used rotigrow+ to feed the rots and for green water. It's important to tint the water so that the fry don't get too much light.

Sounds like good advice, I've read lot about light effects on larvel clowns so since I'll be adding rotifers I might as well get the water greened up a little
TY

Well no babies yet, I've added rotifers and some roti food

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
I normally add the rotifers and roti food after the babies hatch. The tank is going to get real dirty quick. Yes, you will want to tint it more.

You'll want to black out the sides of the tank as well. You can just use back construction paper.

The babies were born, but only lasted 3 days, I was pretty bummed but also on the bright side for my first attempt, the eggs were viable, I got a majority to hatch with no bacteria attacking the eggs so I learned a lot so I'm trying again in a couple of weeks with some tweeks. I'm going to use new water next time with only a small amount of existing tank water, no roti-food and only green water and rotifers. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Ur water looks very clear in that pic did u keep adding rots and green water?
What I do is take a jug full of rots out and add some rg complete let them sit in it for 20 mins then strain and add to the tank plus I add some rg complete to the fry tank to keep the rots that don't get ate as quick fed so when they do get ate they are nutritious .
I'm on day 3 today at raising my clarki clownfish fry .

Sorry they did not last long but it's your first attempt. You'll learn from experience. Mine did not last long the first few times either but currently have a small foursome on day 17 and a new clutch on day 5.

I used RGComplete to feed the rotifers but use Rotigreen Omega to tint the larva tank. This has enriched HUFA for the larva plus serves as food for the rotifers in the larva tank. No need to enrich them separately. In fact, the rotifers are self-sustaining in my tank so I don't add any more after the first day.

Of course my clutch are a lot smaller and usually only about 30-40 each. So I have to actually scoop out the rotifers so they don't take up all the oxygen.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Back