Pico Reef Coral Hospital. Help My Frogspawn Please

Brown jelly disease is thrown around kind of like dinoflagulates...without anyone looking under microscope to see what it really is.

The problem, though...is most dying euphyllia look like that. So anyone with a dying euphyllia can be assumed to have brown jelly disease by this logic.

I was just reading the dates on your build thread...looks like a week since the set up the nem was added...and looks like a month since the initial set up? This not correct? The nem was a bit bleached when you bought it...glad he is doing better! It is recommended not to add anemones until 5 months...three at a minimum.

I think your frogspawn did initially better after the move because it was happier in the higher alkalinity. :) You mentioned your dt at the time was below 7.

Stability is key! ;)

Totally agree. and Honestly I'd have to go get the guy and ask him to check dates. I have since personally learned that nems are usually something to wait till a 6 month or so old tank and stability is the biggest thing for so much in this hobby I agree. I don't know exactly what it had you are very right. I could only go off the info I could find and the info I could get from others more in the know. we didn't really know and we just didn't want to risk all of our other inhabitants as they're doing so well. Would've hated to see them get sick and go down to.

Again, your dedication is very admirable! And as it COULD be, surely this is the safest bet. Nothing wrong with trying to play it safe.

This guy, though...it's true, wall hammers rarely do well after a fragging. I own an LFS myself, so I hate to say this...but it sounds like your LFS will sell you about anything, whether or not it is likely to do well in your tank. I have made mistakes in the past, and not questioned my customers enough to realize their systems were a lot younger than they let on...but wow...a anemone that early...a sun coral sold as a cup coral...and now a wall hammer frag? Yikes...

Though I blame myself when it is my customers (I should have asked how old their tank was, this is my fault) I cannot help but urge you to first research EVERYTHING you buy before buying it...if you haven't figured that one out already! I hate to say not to trust your LFS...but my gosh, they sold you a sun coral without telling you of its care requirements? A half dead already sun coral, I may add...

It's okay, everyone has that one coral or fish they couldn't save...even if you do everything "right". If all you ever kill is one chunck of wall hammer...which probably had little hope from the moment it was fragged...or chop-shopped, I should say...that definitely wasn't cultured!...then you are doing pretty well. :)

Well I def appreciate all the help you've tried to be. And I have no plans to personally buy anything else anytime soon. I am doing a lot of research to start my own reef down the road. Going to keep doing what I am for this frogspawn in hopes that maybe as slight as the chances. I'll def keep updating if anything should change or if a miracle happens and it comes back.

No problem! :) There are a million ways to tweak your reef...don't focus too much on following everything...not all methods work together. Just KISS, at first, ya know? Then let it get complicated when that gets boring. ;) Was great chatting with you...I would keep this skeleton in water forever, just hoping...but let us know if anything happens!!! :)

Honestly knowing myself it will probably stay in a tank whether it be my frag or nano forever even if it never comes back but then I'm also one of those people that loves gsp and has some of that in our tank and probably will have some in my own nano when its up and running.

Cool...don't let these guys om here turn you into a snob, lol...yes, I still grow GSP...and xenia...and dare I say it...kenya trees! ;) Coral is only invasive in comparison to the growth rate of a slower growing coral. :)

I absolutely love Gsp that was what made me agree to my guy setting up the tank. I loved the look of the large mat of it in our lfs tank flowing like grass in the wind. I actually want to get the yellow and pink as well. (Not sure if they're true star polyp but they look the same) I gotta get a decent size nano though because I want my own btas love the red and blue though blues so hard to find.

I absolutely love Gsp that was what made me agree to my guy setting up the tank. I loved the look of the large mat of it in our lfs tank flowing like grass in the wind. I actually want to get the yellow and pink as well. (Not sure if they're true star polyp but they look the same) I gotta get a decent size nano though because I want my own btas love the red and blue though blues so hard to find.

Blue bubble tip anemone? Had to look that up, lol...cause you would think 15 years of dealing would bubbletips and I would know about a blue variation...looks like these "blue" ones are all either doctored photos or bleached out nems with actinic reflecting off the white...don't be suckered into paying 200 for a bleached out unhealthy nem!!! A quick google just showed me several for sale like this...horrible!

Eh, close enough, GSP is a common name, anyway...so, um...PSP? Lol...YSP? Now, that I would have to see in person...google told me this was the same as yellow polyps...but I don't think that is what you meant? I can attest to pink star polyps...in fact we have two pink varieties...and two green. :)

Idk for sure with so many mislabled but I believe the few I've seen have been gigs "carpet" and super rare occasion I've seen bta there iffy at times cause of bleached ones looking blue but I have seen one or two that were legit blue. I found a site with what I assume are "designer" btas with a few different yellow ones that look gorgeous. but I have to look into them cause I dont want anything thats been dyed or anything.. breeding fish and such is fine but dying just seems wrong to me.

Again...no such thing as a blue BTA. Almost as positive as one can be in this hobby about anything. Yes, there are blue giant carpet nems. Just please don't get snookered by these "blue" and "yellow" btas online. See it in person...then come tell me, I will buy it - no matter the cost - and give you the first baby free! ;)

I don't know much about neptunescove but they have advertised a few different color morphs.

http://shop.neptunescove.net/produc...B.m1plqscsfapp03?productId=1441&categoryId=34

as well as a lot of other colors.

However last I knew they don't have "babies"..... they split which people are split as to why the theory I think more logical based on the ones I've seen/heard of splitting is that they split when they're happy and in the right environment.

As far as my Frogspawn that I started the thread about... Its seeming to hold its healthy pink color as far as its skeleton and has shown no further sign of deteriorating. My Pico has kept very stable and balanced parameters and after a complete 100% water change has been running well.

I am sorry to hear your frogspawn hasn't come back...but good news it isn't growing algae yet. Sounds like something is growing on it a bit, though...because frogspawn skeleton is white, not pink.

The "babies" comment was a joke I make a lot...I'm sorry I should have explained more. We run a coral aquaculture facilty...I say this a lot when I want to challenge someone to prove a coral/nem/whatever exists. The purple one shown in pic looks pretty bleached as well...and I wouldn't call the "yellow" one really yellow. Still more red/pink/orange than anything else.

We have four morphs of quadricolor entacmaea...my favorite is the flame tip, though the rainbow is a good runner up! :) There are many different shades and morphs of BTA. Just no blue that I am aware of...

Again, apologies, did not mean to offend...just trying to save you from buying a picture that isn't real. :) If someone jumps in here and says they have a blue morph at home of a BTA and it is healthy, and I am crazy, I am perfectly willing to listen. Don't mind being wrong. :)

You didn't offend me at all. And perhaps something is growing on it but my frogspawn has had a pink skeleton since purchase and I've seen a few others just as pink. The current frogspawn at the Lfs did so poorly it was sad to see how unhappy it was from the day it came in till it gave up and that skeleton is white almost clear perhaps different water chemisty when each made their skeletons... I personally am no where near ready to buy any of these rare and different colored nems won't be till I've set up my own tank. However when I do get ready to I will be first trying through my lfs as they have been super good to me and the only problems I've had have been of no fault of theirs and when we have had trouble they've gone out of their way to help us in every way, knowledge samples of products that worked for their tanks and much of their help has been invaluable and I couldn't imagine where we'd have been without them. So many have been very helpful here as well and I can say I will stay very active here on rc as well. I'm still hopeful for my frogy and have considered someday trying again if this one doesn't make a comeback or maybe even if it does. I have a lot to learn before I can really get into the hobby on my own thankfully I do have my partner in crime who is already in it and we are lucky enough to have the beautiful coral and nems that we do.

Back