pics of my new fish/sps reef :)

You got a nice fish collection there. Nice tank!
Thank you!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. Thanks!

The last picture in post #207? Gramma dejongi?
Yes it is. Good luck finding one. I have heard small numbers of legal tank bred dejongi are available in the USA...

Great looking tank. I really enjoyed the videos, thank you for taking the time to post and share. Quick question it looks like you have several royal gramma? Did you add them all at the same time? I really like how that looks. Also there is a yellow fish that looks similar but maybe with purple on the lower fins? What is that if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks! I have added 2, about a year later I've added 2 more as I really like these fish. About a year later I've added the dejongi. No serious fighting or other issues as there are lots of hiding places for them. In nature you also see them in groups, apart from some solitary strays in shallow water.

And reefcentral ate my post... :(

Yeah, that was it. I went back a couple pages and then on this noticed the image of the fish with the name. Then did some reading about that fish on the 'net. Pretty fish but caught up in politics I guess and otherwise high price tag. Also saw a few people talking about how they keep multiple Royal Gramma's which looks interesting. Added to my list :)

To the OP: also watched your diving video. Good buoyancy control!

Indeed the dejongi is caught up in complicated politics. I'm lucky to live in the Netherlands and have good contacts with the importer of these fish, De Jong Marinelife. They are now setting up a huge collection station in Cuba and are planning to export directly worldwide. No USA unfortunately. Hopefully these trade embargos will loosen in some time.

Thank you for the compliment on the buoyancy. It takes a diver to see it ;). You mean the video shot while diving in Japan? I have more footage on my computer but need to find time to merge it to a nice video. I've also shot some nice material in the Caribean earlier this year but I still need to do something with it...

Good to see fellow divers here. Do you have any recommendations for my next dive?

If any of you want to see a bit more on my tank: it is TOTM on another website: http://totm.ultimatereef.net/2017_december/

1510341530.jpg

Also, the larvatus celebrates it's first full year in my care. It is still doing great based on the methods described in the TOTM article. :hb2:

One month ago I also added a small C. meyeri which is also doing fine. Unfortunately the only thing it eats is Coral. I still need to invest more time in getting it to accept other foods.

1509823069.jpg

1509823705.jpg

Have a nice day :)

Indeed the dejongi is caught up in complicated politics. I'm lucky to live in the Netherlands and have good contacts with the importer of these fish, De Jong Marinelife. They are now setting up a huge collection station in Cuba and are planning to export directly worldwide. No USA unfortunately. Hopefully these trade embargos will loosen in some time.

Agreed - I'm sure it will all work out. There are also a few possibilities about captive breeding. In either case not a fish I will own for a while especially due to the price tag (but I can dream and admire others who do own it).

Good to see fellow divers here. Do you have any recommendations for my next dive?

I live in Northern California so mostly dive in the cold waters which is a big turn off for many. Having said that some of the best diving in the world can be found in Monterey (my opinion). You won't see SPS or LPS corals but you will dive through kelp forests and see some amazing color with various rock, macro algae, and wild life. It truly is amazing to dive here when the visibility is good. Beach or boat you can't go wrong. Point Lobos is one great area, Monastery beach another with sheer depth and 100 ft tall kelp raising from the sea floor (but also properly named due to accessibility (advanced divers only recommended)) - but the water like I mentioned can be a big turn off with temps ranging between 49 to 56 or so degrees Fahrenheit.

Sounds like you have been to the areas I've been to :) Since I have not traveled much lately my previous places include the Caribbean, drift diving in Cozumel. Costa Mia and Hawaii are also worth it. Hawaii can be a bit tricky with expectations but I've enjoyed it. Then again anytime the water is warm I'm happy.

Thank you for the recommendations! Next trip will be Taiwan and Indonesia, more specifically Bali and Komodo/Rinca. Hawaii is on my wish list as well, but given the fact I live in Europe, the distance is huge!

Around new year I've been to Curacao. Down to around 500 feet with the Curasub, a small private submarine. Very spectacular!

This morning I took a small picture with my smartphone. A few weeks ago I was able to acquire a second Gramma dejongi. I believe to have a male and a female now. In the background the C. meyeri is visible. I got it in November 2017 and so far it is fat and happy. My corals aren't as corals are the only thing it eats...

Have a nice day :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2dejongi_2.jpg
    2dejongi_2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday I realised I got my regal angel 15 years ago this month. Needless to say I am pretty proud of it :)

Time for a short video

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KiPRP3jVEeg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiPRP3jVEeg

Yesterday I realised I got my regal angel 15 years ago this month. Needless to say I am pretty proud of it :)

Time for a short video

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KiPRP3jVEeg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiPRP3jVEeg

Amazing in that it doesn't look 15 years old, right? Pretty. I was actually hoping for more video - very well done tank you have. Thanks for sharing.

On the flight from Europe to Hawaii - crazy right? Same thing when I travel from California to Europe. It is a long haul and isn't very affordable unless you plan well enough in advance. Then we just plan a longer stay and knock out one or two more countries while there.

Fish and tank look really nice - keep up the good work!

Back