Planned power outage

Thanks Laverda for your input. I guess I can keep the power pack battery backup. I just need a way to configure so that it kicks on when the power goes out? Any suggestions anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long

How long

Giving you all some feedback with the power pack battery that I bought from Amazon. I was running a Jebao DC wave maker and it lasted for a good 5 hrs. Yes, from 10:30pm to 6am , I woke up 3-4 times worrying that my fish would die. I switched it to the battery powered aerator until the power went back on. All the fish survived but it was exhausting. I'm returning this power pack for sure, it wasn't designed to last more than 8 hrs.

If MoonDoggy's suggestion works, I'm going to invest in a Sealed Lead Battery (SLR) and a battery tender/charger. So, how long will a 12V battery good for operating a small DC wave maker?

I will give it a test today. Off at 10:31 AM 8/22/20

Planned power outage

Bet it does 5-6 hrs, I'll be doing mine tomorrow. [emoji106]

Got my setup started:
https://youtu.be/qac8OXQCzis

The simple video is because I have to see things in order to do them. I kept on reading how people did their back system but If I don't see it I'm nervous to take that first step. Hope it helps other dummies like me Hahaha.

Big Thanks to " Laverda / moondoggy4 and everyone here for helping me take the first steps to protect our reef during a power outage.

POWISER 16AWG SAE Quick Connector Disconnect Plug,SAE Connector Extension Cable, for Automotive, Solar Panel Panel

SPARKING 12FT SAE Extension Cable 16AWG- SAE to SAE Extension Cord, SAE 2Pin Bullet Quick Connect 16awg Heavy Duty Wire Harness with Waterproof Cap. *** the whole setup will be outside the house in an out door cover I built for the pump and dosing containers, fresh and mixed water tanks.

LINGYU SAE Y Splitter 1 to 2 SAE Extension Cable,SAE 2 Pin Quick Connect Disconnect Plug 14AWG DC Power Automotive Connector Cable-11.8inch/30cm. *** I will be using a Turbelle Stream3 and a Turbelle 6095 during the outages. ****

Cobalt Aquatics DC USB Rechargeable Air Pumps (DC USB Dual Output Air Pump)
***large reef so One will be on the display and the other on the sump.****

Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind AGM SLA DEEP Cycle VRLA Battery 12V 24V 48V
I want it to run for 12 hrs or more.

Planned power outage

some pictures to help clarify things I hope. The final setup will take some days as I have to go and build a stand for the battery and hang up the battery charger on a wall next to the battery. I also have to run cables through the wall outside to hook up everything and with 100 Degrees right now, it will be a slow process but the battery is fully charged and ready just in case.
I'll be glad to explain anything.

Attachments

• Supplies.jpg
    Supplies.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Air pumps.jpg
    Air pumps.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My pump is still running, it is a tunze 6095.
The Cobalt pump is pretty good, the weak link is the charger, I have two and only one charger works.

What up fellas. Since we are on this topic I wanted to share that this jackery explorer 1000 has been a life saver for me. Initially bought it on sale last year for our camping trips as we like to run high powered appliances like instapots but it has saved my tank from long power outages esp during the winter. Esp running the heaters on my larger tank. I love the fact that this doesn't use gas, super quiet and you can constantly charge it with solar panels. It's pricey but in my opinion worth it's weight in gold and peace of mind.
0cccfc64f73a91900c40f002c3345040.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My pump is still running nearly 24 hours so far.

Wow that is great news with a 35Ah you've gotten 24 hrs. That means that for most people with small tanks they can just get a $50 battery and run at least 12 Hrs [emoji106][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Planned power outage

Battery $174 for 100Ah
Tunze safety connector $54
Tender plus battery charger $50
$$40 for extra 16 gauge wire and adapters.
Cobalt air pump $34 x2 dual output
A single output is like $27

But you don't need such a large battery though, I got it because my tank is 8' long and need 2 pumps to create water movement and aerate the water along with the 2 air pumps. Plus I need to run the wires about 13'-15' to the outside.

Most people can make do with a
$50 battery or cheaper
$50 battery Charger
$54 Tunze safety connector
And a Tunze powerhead

Considering what most of us have invested in our tanks that is pretty cheap insurance [emoji106]

Last edited:
Back