Planning my macro algae/ seagrass tank

Thanks for bringing me back to this thread. I never ended up setting up the Co2.I was using liquid Co2 for a few weeks, at first my macro was doing great, i lost all hair algae; then my macro began to crash and it started thinning out... it never really came back to the lush jungle it was

Sorry to hear. Any ideas why macros started to thin out?

I just recently added a few fish to the 40 for when I take it back over. A Dwarf Lionfish and Arc Eye Hawk.

I love lionfish and there kin. I actually have 3 Caribbean scorpions on their way in a couple days. I'm hoping to put them in a macro tank to help support macro growth with their bioload. I'm hoping to do the same thing with some eels.

I'm still not back at the macro levels I was at before so I'm unable to share any snips. If you aren't far from tampa and are willing to take a trip we do have macro at SBRC (salty bottom)... i generally get my macro there and back when I was over growing macro that's where all my macro went.

That's ok. I'm near Haines City and I don't mind driving. I just don't know when ill get a chance to head that way because of work. What macros do you have in stock?

If you have a FB account and are active in groups you can actually find me in the Salty Bottom group on FB. I manage the group for SB and do a bit of work on the side for them.

They are great people and I am happy to be part of their team!

I do have FB and Ill check y'all out.

Macros thinned out because of lack of nutrients it seems. First thing I got was explosive growth, which killed the hair algae. My water was clearer than it had ever been before and everything looked GREAT. Then after a few days I could see more rock than macro and noticed a decline.

Dwarf Lionfish was one of my goal fish. Working with SBRC has given me the ability to finally reach that goal. I do however want more small predators. I would love to add a second Lion (Fuzzy Dwarf), but I am not sure how both would be in a 40g.

Last time I was at the shop I saw, caulerpa prolifera, red grape, grape caulerpa, palm caulerpa, fern, blue octodes and multiple gracilarias. A really great stock (however I'm definitely looking to grab some palm and blue octodes.

I just looked online and you had everything but the blue octodes. I may get some stuff and choose local pickup. From my understanding lionfish are tolerant of one another with few exceptions. Depending on layout of tank you probably could do 3 or 4 dwarf lions. Try to get 1 male and rest females. Overall they are easy to sex just make sure they are the same size so they don't eat one another. The limiting factor would be bioload more than anything else but in a macro tank I would think they would soak up the nutrients to help keep bioload in check, at least once the macros start filling up the tank.

When I hear dwarf lion I assumed fuzzy dwarf and that is what I gave advice on. If not the fuzzy dwarf then I probably would stick with 1 although 2 is possible. I believe they are the one exception with conspecifics although mixed species would be ok.

Check out lionfish lair as they have some good info.

Ok. Unless it's in by Friday I wouldn't be able to pickup till next week as I work Sat, Sun, and Mon 13 hour days.

Np, even still we can hold on to it for you. I think i messaged you on FB... Well i hope its you or someone is getting a really weird message!

I didn't get any messages unless you can send it through the Salty Bottom Community Group in which case I don't know how to check.

Back