please give me some lighting suggestions

gfk

so im planning on getting a 30 gallon tank dimensions 36x12x16. right now i have 130 watts PC over my 20 gallon, but im moving and am designing a new system...

i want bright lighting for it, but as of now, all i have is lps and softies, with a few blastos, hammer, and candy canes for the lps

would a 250 watt MH be too much or since its 36 inches long would i need maybe 2 175 watters?

http://hellolights.com/arocu25re.html with a 15k bulb is what i was thinking of.

can any of you recommend a better setup? im unfamiliar with T5s and vho's. i found vho's on their site but i dont understand the difference between t5 and vho.

what would a good setup be for each type of light with these dimensions? give me suggestions on what i should do for this size tank

would one 250 watt light work on a 36" long tank?

or could i have pc's on the outside or something? im pretty new to this whole lighting thing

Both of these have 150 watt HQI

You could go with the Aqualight Pro HQI / Compact Fluorescent / Lunar Light Fixture 36" 280W
Or
Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture
342 watt: 1-150 watt HQI; 2-96 watt 4
Both would add a little more .
I think for your tank height would be fine.

Now if your just wanting a little increase. They do have a Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip with 192 watt (2-96 watt) depends what your going for and what you want to spend.
Here is a little lighting guide that might help you.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=&aid=350

150W - 175W: up to 20" deep or mixed corals with a few sps and clams placed high in aquarium. 250W: up to 30" deep with mixed corals including sps and clams. 400W: up to 48" deep or a dedicated sps and clam aquarium.

well if i get a 30 i think id want to get a 250 watter... im just wondering how well it would spread the full 36" long tank?

i dont want the effect where its lit up in the middle and not at all on the outsides of the tank

If you did get get a 250 watt. You would not have to worry as much about placement. The range is 4 to 8 watts per gallon.
I did have to much heat with my pc and did have to get a chiller.

Go with the 250 do a de if you would like, but do try a 20k the 15k's have very low par. I'm assuming that you have 2 65w pc's you could switch them both over to actinic and put them a little closer to the ends and this should give you a good light spread. IMO

Oh yeah go with a couple of good fans and you shouldnt have any problems with heat in my experience the 250w arent that hot.

It was already to late for me. I came home from work to find my tank up to 85 degrees and some losses occurred. I still think it was maybe a faulty fan with my unit.

i plan to make a canopy to keep the retro in.

so you guys are saying it will spread fine across the whole tank

my current light is a compact, not a retrofit. it has 1 65 watt 10,000k light and 1 65 watt actinic.

i want to just use one light if possible id rather not dismantle this light.

so with a 250 watt MH 20k i should be fine right? no shady spots on the outsides?

Back