Has anyone tried making DIY high power LED fixtures using the nanometer speific LEDs from Cree or Chanzan, or any other manufacturer?

Where do you get CREE cyans from? In years of puttering around in DIY I've never seen them.
Ledsupply just started carrying the Cree XEG series which will probably prove to be amazing, but they currently have just a few of the 17 colors produced. I couldn’t find them anywhere else for retail sales, but here’s a list of the available XEGs from them:

Attachments

• IMG_2024-02-04-193032.png
    IMG_2024-02-04-193032.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 5
Okay, let’s get to the bottom line. Which one of you nerds is going to build a light for me so I can test it for you (at your cost of course)?

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Okay, let’s get to the bottom line. Which one of you nerds is going to build a light for me so I can test it for you (at your cost of course)?

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Man, I had every intention of building what I believe would be a grow-out facility capable light , using only the new XEG series LEDs. Unfortunately, I can’t find the necessary colors available on starboards at the retail level. I’m going to build a new fixture anyway seeing how my lights are old technology, and limited in spectrum. Due to the fact that I’ll be using multiple different LED types while trying to keep it simple, the XEGs will literally be running at 50% while everything else will be maxed out in terms of current. As the other colors become available, I can swap out the older tech and complete the light fixture that’s bouncing around in my mind…I’ll just have to wait a while longer to get what I envisioned.

As far as the free test fixture goes, it’s going to be a little while before that can happen. Apparently, no one reads newspapers anymore 🤣

Where do you get CREE cyans from? In years of puttering around in DIY I've never seen them.
…and btw, I saw that PAR meter on Amazon for $185. That’s also on my wishlist…either that or buy the apogee photo receptor and make my own using a multimeter. Even still it would cost me about the same amount as buying the one on Amazon

Ledsupply just started carrying the Cree XEG series which will probably prove to be amazing, but they currently have just a few of the 17 colors produced. I couldn’t find them anywhere else for retail sales, but here’s a list of the available XEGs from them:
Oh, yea. Forgot about their new line. About time they caught up to Lumiled..:)

It has begun! I I ordered a bunch of stuff for the new light build today…couldn’t get everything I wanted due to low stock, but the remainder of the violet LEDs I’m missing should be ready in a week or so. The plans have been revised and revised again, but it’s definitely happening. I’m super excited!

Just watched this last night. Super interesting (to geeks) history on the blue leds we take for granted.

I need some input on the new light build. The violet back order should be ready to ship tomorrow. My original fixture had all of the LEDs evenly spaced, and used ~40 degree optics to compensate for the depth of my 30” tall aquarium. Since the new light will have more colors added, I thought about going with clusters of LED rather than even spacing. The clusters would potentially reduce the disco effects of having different colors, but I’m worried about how it would impact the intensity directly under the clusters…I may end up frying corals. If I was smart, I’d be ordering a PAR meter, but I’d rather spend the money on corals to replace the ones that the bryopsis killed.

Any thoughts?

I need some input on the new light build. The violet back order should be ready to ship tomorrow. My original fixture had all of the LEDs evenly spaced, and used ~40 degree optics to compensate for the depth of my 30” tall aquarium. Since the new light will have more colors added, I thought about going with clusters of LED rather than even spacing. The clusters would potentially reduce the disco effects of having different colors, but I’m worried about how it would impact the intensity directly under the clusters…I may end up frying corals. If I was smart, I’d be ordering a PAR meter, but I’d rather spend the money on corals to replace the ones that the bryopsis killed.

Any thoughts?
I kinda think 40 degree optics will be a torch directly under it no matter what. How high are you hanging these over the tank? Do you have a target par for the bottom?

I kinda think 40 degree optics will be a torch directly under it no matter what. How high are you hanging these over the tank? Do you have a target par for the bottom?
They’ve always had the 40 degree optics, but all LEDs are spaced evenly. The fixture can be raised if necessary, but it’s always been about 12” over the water. As for a target, I just want to keep my clam alive on the sandbed…so 100 PAR at the bottom??

Maybe having the tight clusters of multiple LEDs would negate the need for optics, but I’m afraid that there wouldn’t be any real consistency in terms of PAR at a given depth. It would depend completely on proximity to a cluster.

Back