please help dory

sparkey_burke

In Memoriam
I have a blue hippotang and have had him for over a year i noticed today that he has what looks like white cottonballstuck to the side of his chin.My freaking heater desided to stop working sometime during the n ight after i went to bed and when i came home from work around 4 the next day the temp of the tank dropped from 80 to 75 degrees I immediatly replaced the heater and now the tank is back up to around 79.I checked water quality and no amonia nitrates are under10ppm alk-is 4.5 with calicium at440 everything else looks fine so far I cannot remove this fish to easily because it is a well astyablished reef with to many place to hide.So what are my options? should i just let it take its course or is there a treatment like garlic? please help dori.

A best diagnosis is the first step. Does it look like Lymphocystis? This is a photo of a fish with this condition: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/viraldislymph.htm

Lymph is often described as cauliflower clumps often on the fins of the fish. But it can appear almost anywhere on the fish.

If it is truly Lymphocystis, there isn't much you can do. It runs its course. Just provide the best water quality and conditions you can. No known cure if it is Lymphocystis, but Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ve known the Neon Blue Goby (Elacatinus oceanops) to actually eat it off of some fishes.

yes my neaon goby did rip it off the tang i watched in amazement as this little fish saved doy's life even continued to make sure it was all off of him.I was just going to reply about the neon when i came on and saw your message leebco thanks for replying I am asumming hes ok i vacumed the stuf from the bottom that was knocked off.

Back