Please Identify and Help

yellowbellied

this never happened until i bought a tlf 150 and put phosban in it (without rinsing it, i forgot). even though i've removed the phosban from the reactor and is only running polyfill in it (it's been 2-3 weeks now), this is still on my front and rear of tank. i've cleaned it, but it comes back after 3-4 days.

Attachments

• IMG_6941.jpg
    IMG_6941.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6942.JPG
    IMG_6942.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
2-3 weeks is a long time.

I'm sure it's some sort of microbial pest, and it's possible that the PhosBan leached enough iron to help it grow. If so, it should subside on its own if you scrape it off and remove the scraping for a while, for some definition of "a while". Not rinsing would increase the iron supplementation effect a lot.

It's also possible that the PhosBan adsorbed enough phosphate to change the nutrient levels in the tank, and thus allow this pest to bloom.

I'd probably try dosing some well-rinsed PhosBan, to see whether that can help.

Problem was that i'd scrap the stuff off, and it falls right into the rocks. What, exactly, is 'well rinsed Phosban?'

Wasn't phosban suppose to help, and not cause harm?

I'd just rinse the PhosBan with some tap water until it ran clear. That should remove the very fine particles. PhosBan basically is rust, which can form an iron supplement. Iron supplements can encourage algae to grow, since it's often a limiting nutrient.

That is just common algae. I mean no matter what your gonna get some formation of something on your walls no matter how well your levels are maintained. To me it looks like some form of cyano that is forming on the wall looks familiar to detritus. I would think it is due to a slight change in phosphates. I have had it on my walls from time to time and all my SPS and fish are still showing great color, growth, and polyp extension.

Back