Please review my Interceptor plan

kuramura

Hi
Could you guys please advise my plan so that i can make sure i am doing this right??

36 gal tank + sump + skimmer + ref. = 44 gal - live rock = 40 gal system

worst colonies
bugs-worst.jpg

bugs-3.jpg

Blue-polyp.jpg

bugs-1.jpg

The antidote

pill.jpg

I would suggest using a quarter of one of those tabs in each dose. Crush it up, then use a razor blade to get it into a fine powder. Then mix vigorously in RO/DI water until its disolved (could take 5-10 min to dissolve). Turn off your skimmer, carbon, phosban, etc. Go to bed, get a good night's sleep, wake up in the AM, notice no more red bugs, turn on your skimmer, run carbon, do a 25% water change. Repeat 3x (1 week between each). Good luck, you'll be surprised how easy it is ;)

don't forget to take out any crabs, hermits and shrimp you wouldn't want to lose. i had some shrimp survive a treatment but didn't survive a second. the hermits and crabs i was not able to catch died within 30 min after i added the interceptor to the tank.

I just finished round 3 of treatment. I used the steps mcliffy2 recommended. I was able to catch all but one of my shrimp. I had a blood red cleaner stay in the tank (58G+Sump+RDSB ~= 60G) I used about 1/5 - 1/4 of the pill for each treatment. I lost several hermit crabs, but the shrimp made it through all treatments.

Thanks guys, I'll use 1/4 of the pill that I have as mcliffy2 suggested
since 23mg treats 380 gal this dose would be for 47 gal.
I was concern about my crocea clam but from what I read it should by ok.
I'm unsure if I want to save blue leg hermits since I see them cleaning infected colonies and possibly have RB in shells.
Any thoughts ?

Creatures that will most likely die are
2 peppermint shrimp
2 porcelain crabs
6-7 acro crabs
oh well......

i would really try to save those acro crabs. if you don't care for them much, im sure some people on here would like to take them. i know i would. they are a pain to catch though!!

no need to save snails. mollusks will be alright, its crustaceans that are hurt by the interceptor.

Clams should be fine. I wrote off all my crabs though... It sucks to gamble with the porcelain crabs and the acro crabs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893893#post12893893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madadi
i would really try to save those acro crabs. if you don't care for them much, im sure some people on here would like to take them. i know i would. they are a pain to catch though!!

no need to save snails. mollusks will be alright, its crustaceans that are hurt by the interceptor.

Trust me I would love to save my acro crabs they range from 1/8" to 5/16" body but most colonies are epoxied to rock and I really don't want to be in my tank with screwdriver prying it off so I can take it out to pull crabs further stressing corals.

My only concern with starfish would be all the little creatures that it eats will be killed... I think. Snails should be fine... all of mine lived that I can tell.

Your shrimp will more than likely be ok. I think the problem is that many ppl feel the need to overdose (not saying anything bout madadi, very well may have gotten unlucky)...my shrimp made it through 6 dosings (yes I had to go through this twice). Only thing I lost were my smaller crabs. Snails, shrimps, starfish, and larger crabs were ok.

Can I cut off the valve to my fuge to keep the critters alive in there, when treating?

(Sorry for the hijack but it is more questions on the same subject.)

Is there any problem with Anemone while treating with interceptor?
This red bug is so much talked about in forum these days. Now pufferpunk also spots one on a beautiful acro.
Though I can't spot any red bugs in my tank something is making me believe I have one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12894413#post12894413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
Can I cut off the valve to my fuge to keep the critters alive in there, when treating?

(Sorry for the hijack but it is more questions on the same subject.)

Jeni you have to treat whole system including sump skimmer even piping, anything touching water. That's why I'm not taking blue leg hermits out and putting them back 3 weeks later, I'm worrying about shells carrying RB or eggs or larva.

Darn--this sucks! :( I'm glad to know about this though--I'd hate to keep passing this on. Luckily, I rarely sell any SPS, so maybe I haven't infected anyone else's tanks. It doesn't look like my tank is infested (I don't think...).

im pretty sure redbugs cant live without acro hosts long. if you take all your crabs and shrimp and keep them in a separate tank for about 3 weeks the red bugs on them would die. 3 weeks is not such a long time considering you have to do 3 treatments.
i only had a 90gal tank at the time of treatment and i managed to save about 100 hermits. this was about a year ago and redbugs did not come back. its worth it if you have the time. the reason why i wanted to take as much as i can out is the fact that all those dead crabs will release pollutants in the water of course. i wanted to minimize that as much as possible.

Interceptor for small dogs - pills treat about 38g - no need to break/divide larger pills. If you are going to get pills from a vet - I'd go with these as you don't have to worry about breaking/dividing etc...

My experience is if you treat the whole tank, any crabs/shrimp/majority of pods will be toast.

I've done the treatment twice - last time over a year ago. Red bugs didn't appear to have any negative affect on my corals, but since I occasionally sell frags - wanted to be pest free for frags.

Back