PLENUM,at 6yrs. Aint no slowing down

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6968248#post6968248 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
I doubt highly that your success is due to the plenum, but I do give you props on your tank. Its VERY VERY nice. You obviously have some very good husbandry practices.
Horace, I've been toying w/ this hobby for along time. I know for sure the plenum helps my system stable long run plus my husbandry practice. Thank you

Just wondering Horace, why would you doubt the plenum's effectiveness? Your post comes off as implying a plenum has no use in filtering a reef aquarium...just wondering.

Patrick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6969365#post6969365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atzak
Your tank is awesome, good work. I want to see more. Have you had to add any substrate to the top of your plenum over the years?
Atzak, over the yrs. yes,about 1/2 ". Last yr. I siphon some of the sand and recharged w/ new live sand & I add a little bit more. I always like to stay around 3 to 4 " thick, tops.

I have always been partial to plenums myself. If properly set up they last for years. I know of many in the Boise area that are over 9 years old and are still thriving. Mine is nearly 7 years old now and will be moved in the next couple of weeks to the new tank. When it is moved it will be placed in the sumps as a remote plenum.

There are many ways to do it right and plenums is just one way to go. When I was in Texas last month, TexasTodd took me around to a lot of tanks in San Antonio that ranged from current trends to what some consider old fashioned like the plenums. It would be hard to decide which tanks I liked the best. Since Todd sent me home with a box of corals, I would have to say his was the best...

Here is a calculator I made for thiose interested in plenums: http://www.idahoreefs.org/ReefCalculator/Plenum.asp

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6981608#post6981608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GARFVolunteer
I have always been partial to plenums myself. If properly set up they last for years. I know of many in the Boise area that are over 9 years old and are still thriving. Mine is nearly 7 years old now and will be moved in the next couple of weeks to the new tank. When it is moved it will be placed in the sumps as a remote plenum.

There are many ways to do it right and plenums is just one way to go. When I was in Texas last month, TexasTodd took me around to a lot of tanks in San Antonio that ranged from current trends to what some consider old fashioned like the plenums. It would be hard to decide which tanks I liked the best. Since Todd sent me home with a box of corals, I would have to say his was the best...

Here is a calculator I made for thiose interested in plenums: http://www.idahoreefs.org/ReefCalculator/Plenum.asp
I set up my 1st. plenun in 1996 .I knew back then it works if properly set up and good husbandry. When I tore that one down in 2000 it has tons of life beneat the bed and smell good too;) .Everything in that tank I used again, add more sand and live rock for my 300 Gal. PEACE

Back