Plenum System

polka

Has anyone here used the Plenum System successfully the saw the display tank at Beyond the Reef in Hoffman Estate and it was beautiful. The owner said they never change the water in the display tank for years they just use an auto top off for the evaporation. They use the calcium reactor and some additives as needed , they feed daily too and nitrate is zero, seven fish in the tank I think it's a 250 gallon "¦.

Here's the one I'm using in my sps tank, will get more pics later. Paul it's a good thing.
P1010004c.jpg

P1010006c.jpg

P1010001c.jpg

I have the same plenum I built for my 225g and it is starting to stabilize the tank,look up jaubert and also read on reef aquarium by julian sprung,he explains it well. It is a good way of filtering nitrates and phosphates,0 supposedly after a few weeks according to sprung and delbeeks studies,they are both marine biologist.

I had a plenum on my first reef tank back in '03. A guy at a LFS told me the same thing and I set one up exactly according to the Jaubert method, with a large grain layer and a small grain layer of sand divided by screen and lots of open space. A lot of people are anti-plenum now for a few reasons.

First, they work by turning the entire display tank into a supercharged bacteria factory. This keeps the nitrates low but increases acidification and depletes the water of oxygen. If the power goes out on a plenum tank, you have about 30 seconds before fish start dying because the bacteria uses up so much of the available oxygen in the water column (that is an exaggeration, more like 4-8 hrs depending on tank size). Also, most plenum users don't siphon their gravel, which is harder since the rock structure is set on top of the gravel bed and not on the tank bottom. This is ok with a light fish load, but eventually there will be so much accumulation of waste in the bed you will have nitrates in the tank, and likely a never-ending slime algae problem. Another problem is that a thick bed of detritus in anaerobic conditions promotes not just beneficial bacteria, but pathogenic bacteria as well, if you happen to introduce something into your tank. It will also act as the perfect culture medium for ich if and when you deal with that. Finally, a true plenum system requires something like 70% of the bottom to be open space and takes up about 5 inches of top to bottom depth, which is a lot of room to give to a questionable biological filtration concept when a refugium works just as well. Also, the same biological process will occur in a regular 2 inch sand bed, just on a smaller, and safer, scale.

Man, I love long posts.

30 seconds and fish start dying, what are you talking about? Where did you get the most plenum users info, is there a book about us plenum users???????
Yes I have a plenum in my sps tank, it's over 4 years old now and thriving. You can use normal sand for the top surface and have plenty of life in it to stop those darn Detritus build ups.
P1010006-3.jpg

P1010001a.jpg

P3050630.jpg

What's up Sullyman. My fish like your food--way chunkier than Rod's. You of course read that I was exaggerating about the 30 seconds. But without circulation, asphyxiation does occur very quickly with an established plenum. You have a large tank and if I remember correctly run a refugium, which mitigates this problem, but I think you would find this to be true if the power shut off for a day or so while you were on vacation or something.

Ultimately my reason for being against plenums isn't that you can't be succesful with one, it's just that there are a number of small problems they can create, as listed above, as well as an aesthetic aspect (how much more space would you have in your tank with a standard two inch sand bed?), and there is ample evidence that you can be successful without one too.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is the difference between a Plenum and DSB, I have been running a DSB on my display for years and it has always worked great! Is there some advantage to running a Plenum over a DSB? Here is a pic of my DSB at work.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Bump.Don't really now much about the Plenum sanded system, but it would be interesting to see how they worked over the years.

Used to run it when I have a larger tank years ago and I swear by it. I loved it. The next time I set up a larger tank it'll be a plenum system.

Back