Plywood tank (hopefully)

Zack33

I have always wanted to try doing a plywood reef tank. I have found some information on them but not enough in my opinion.
What do you guys who have plywood tanks do to upkeep them that people with a glass tank wouldn't have to do?
How did you consturct the tank? (if you have pictures of the build could you please add them)
What size of a tank would you have to make for the cost to be cheaper than having a glass tank made or bought?
Can you have more holes (for overflow and closed loop) in a wood tank or a glass tank.

Thanks in advance
Zack

There are 3 or 4 good plywood tank build thread here on RC, surf around and you'll find them.

Generally speaking, a plywood tank will be cheaper than a glass tank if you want something special. In other words, if you want a "standard" size tank with "standard" features, it will be cheaper to buy the tank. If what you want is a custom size and/or custom features, then it will likely be cheaper to make, at almost any size!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14611301#post14611301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fiziksgeek

Generally speaking, a plywood tank will be cheaper than a glass tank if you want something special. In other words, if you want a "standard" size tank with "standard" features, it will be cheaper to buy the tank. If what you want is a custom size and/or custom features, then it will likely be cheaper to make, at almost any size!

I would disagree with this to a point. At almost anything over 100 gals, a plywood tank is going to be cheaper to build. To build my 48x32x24 out of glass would have been significantly more expensive then it was (not to mention, much, much heavier). It cost me less then $500 to build my 150.

Zack, here is a link to my build thread and in it you will find links to other plywood tanks. Good luck!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=970006

thanks for the replies guys, i might just start this project begining of summer:) will updated with more questions later this week, as it being march break i'm off school, so i can think alot about it:)

Zack

definitely take a look at fingerlakesreef.com they are the plywood experts. If you have the time, building your tank is much more fun. Particularly if you want to add lots of depth, do a cusome size etc.

Back