Poaching

C. irritans

In Memoriam
I am under the impression that an online business could be buying poached coral.

What would be the correct plan of action as to proving this business does, or hopefully, does not, buy illegal coral?

Sorry, but I will not say who it is so please don't ask.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I'd get input from others as I'm not really sure myself, but I would think the correct action to take would be to contact the state DNR with the information. They'll look into it (I assume) and they will know what to do from there. Hopefully this is not the case as it is a very, very serious offense, especially for Caribbean corals--like spend the next 15 years in sunny Florida...surrounded by razorwire...kind of offense.

Chris

I doubt you get 15 yrs for that. I'd imagine it's a pretty hefty fine and MAYBE some jail time that would probably get turned into probation and a ban on any further business in the field. Murderers get a few months sometimes...coral poachers don't get 15 yrs but you can get them out of the business or get them fined enough to make them think twice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6215514#post6215514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LFSmarineguy I doubt you get 15 yrs for that. I'd imagine it's a pretty hefty fine and MAYBE some jail time that would probably get turned into probation and a ban on any further business in the field. Murderers get a few months sometimes...coral poachers don't get 15 yrs but you can get them out of the business or get them fined enough to make them think twice.

I dont know about coral's but i know if you
get caught with a snook out of season or under/oversized and tell me again how stiff the penalty's are...they take your boat,you fishing gear,your boat trailer,your truck that pulled the boat to the water...and you go to jail with out passing go and you do not collect your $200, i cant imagine poaching corals would be much better. just my 2 cents

If the business is in FL, contact the Florida Wildlife Commission and log your concern. They'll look into it. My LFS had a "surprise" inspection by the FWC after a call was made that someone was selling live rock out of a trailor in front of the shop. Noone was doing that, another LFS was suspected of making the accusation, but the FWC asked to see receipts from his live stock, coral and live rock purchases.

You should try to find out FOR SURE,then,if they are,inform everyone you can so they won't be able to sell the illegal items.

Back